For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By GotHemi Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:41 pm
Happy holidays to everyone reading! I've been looking into buying a new firewire interface for my MPC 2500 & a few modules I have.

I'd like to run all 8 assign outs of the MPC 2500... plus it's stereo out. So I'd need at least 10 inputs. I really didn't want to have to split the MPC 2500 outputs across two different interfaces. As of right now, it looks like that's all I can do, because...

All the interfaces I keep looking at ONLY HAVE 8 ANALOG INPUTS!! lol

There is one interface though, the MOTU 16A, but it's $1,500 and thunderbolt, which I can't use right now & I don't want USB.

I'd love to find a firewire interface with 10 analog inputs, plus optical I/O and hook something like a Behringer ADA 8200 that would be used for my other gear and works with Windows 7.

Any ideas or suggestions? Those of you with an MPC 2500 that utilize all 8 assign + stereo outs, what do you guys use?
By Lampdog Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:30 am
GotHemi wrote:Happy holidays to everyone reading! I've been looking into buying a new firewire interface for my MPC 2500 & a few modules I have.

I'd like to run all 8 assign outs of the MPC 2500... plus it's stereo out. So I'd need at least 10 inputs. I really didn't want to have to split the MPC 2500 outputs across two different interfaces. As of right now, it looks like that's all I can do, because...

All the interfaces I keep looking at ONLY HAVE 8 ANALOG INPUTS!! lol

There is one interface though, the MOTU 16A, but it's $1,500 and thunderbolt, which I can't use right now & I don't want USB.

I'd love to find a firewire interface with 10 analog inputs, plus optical I/O and hook something like a Behringer ADA 8200 that would be used for my other gear and works with Windows 7.

Any ideas or suggestions? Those of you with an MPC 2500 that utilize all 8 assign + stereo outs, what do you guys use?

What you want will not be cheap.

Me, RME UFX, $2k.
By Christov Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:01 pm
I know you didnt want USB, bit from my experience I can really recommend those MOTU USB interfaces. Never had any problem with it, love the sound and the way it perfectly integrates with my DAW.

So it might be something to look into. Otherwise I've heard great things about RME.
By GotHemi Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:49 am
hey, thank you guys for the info! i'll stay on the lookout.

i actually found a Tascam Celesonic US-20x20 USB 3... and it has 10 analog inputs, coaxial I/O along with 8 channels of optical at 44k....plus MIDI I/O... brand new for $500 on sweetwater

But it's USB & it doesn't handle data streams the same as Firewire/Thunderbolt, correct?

Isn't USB like a one-way street of data & Firewire is like a highway of data, going both ways?
By Lampdog Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 am
GotHemi wrote:Isn't USB like a one-way street of data & Firewire is like a highway of data, going both ways?

You didn't read the specs. It says simultaneous inputs/outputs both ways. You needn't worry. With USB3.0 that amount of goingz onz is fine. I get that plus more with my interface and it's usb 2.0. I'd say "DO IT". I'm an audio interface fanatic and I approve this message. Tascam is high-midrange quality with low budget pricing imo.

Just in case though, always buy new, make sure there is a return policy/guarantee in case you don't like the product.