For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By SyntaxOne Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm
Hi!

I did music for a long time, but stopped about 6 years ago for numerous reasons.

I want to start again. I have the MPC Renaissance and M-Audio BX5 speakers.

I just bought a brand new MBP 2015 (with USB, Thunderbolt and HDMI ports).

My sound card is a Saffire Pro 14 ( https://us.focusrite.com/firewire-audio ... ire-pro-14 ). It plugs with Firewire 400, but my new MBP doesn't have a Firewire port.

What should I do? Buy a Firewire/Thunderbold (or USB) adapter, or literally buy a new sound card?

Or maybe I don't even NEED a sound card because the Renaissance has everything necessary?

Thanks!
By Living Bate Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 pm
SyntaxOne wrote:
Maybe I don't even NEED a sound card because the Renaissance has everything necessary?

Personally, I'd say this . . although I'm sure others will disagree . . .

I've got my Renaissance directly linked to my laptop via USB and it sounds crisp
By SyntaxOne Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 am
Living Bate wrote:
SyntaxOne wrote:
Maybe I don't even NEED a sound card because the Renaissance has everything necessary?

Personally, I'd say this . . although I'm sure others will disagree . . .

I've got my Renaissance directly linked to my laptop via USB and it sounds crisp

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Any other opinion? Thanks!
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 am
those thunderbolt to firewire adapters work.. my friend has one for his motu ultralite (OG mk1) and it is connected to his 2015 macbook pro as well.. it works great.
By SyntaxOne Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm
mr_debauch wrote:those thunderbolt to firewire adapters work.. my friend has one for his motu ultralite (OG mk1) and it is connected to his 2015 macbook pro as well.. it works great.

Thanks! But is it Firewire 400 or 800? (According to what I see on the net, the MOTU UltraLite has a Firewire 400 port.)

I can't find Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt adapters anywhere...

May I ask what is the company of the adaptor and where he bought it?

Thanks!
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm
i dont know the brand... yes it is firewire 400.... and if im not mistaken, firewire 800 is backward compatible with 400..
By selecta jo Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 pm
the apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter has a fw800 port on it so you just need a firewire cable with a fw800 connector on one end and a fw400 connector on the other end to connect older fw400 equipment.

this works wonderful with my interfaces - a motu828mkII, an apogee duet fw and an echo audiofire 2 which are all fw400.
the cable was from my local computer store.

peace, jo
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Not Bo, but, Jo knows, lol.