For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By GotHemi Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 am
there's a lot of USB devices I'm looking at, some I'd like to try out, but they are only bus-powered & have no main power on/off switch.

I assume you wouldn't leave these devices on 24/7, otherwise they'd overheat & melt inside?

I've seen a couple of USB hubs with individual power on/off switch per port, but wouldn't that just add in another leg of latency/lag, having to go through another device?

how do you guys deal with devices that only have usb & no dedicated power on/off switch?
By Wormhelmet Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:05 am
GotHemi wrote:MPD 26/32 , Launchpad Mini, the newer MOTU midi interfaces...

it seems like the USB ports would get wrecked after awhile, from plugging & unplugging without the on/off switch.

As long as its not audio through usb and its just midi over usb, put the devices on a powered hub. Unplug tye hub when you wan to power off, or put the hub power on a power strip with an on/off switch.

Always keep audio over usb from your interface through a dedicated port. Preferably fastest port. Audio over usb is a real serial bandwidth hog. Midi not so much.
By davehate Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:52 am
Power strip/surge protector.
Truthfully you should always have any equipment on a surge protector anyways.
But just press off on surge protector shuts down and turns off my entire lab with one button
By conrad Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am
I am about to rewire my house, I will be running a 10mm feed up to the room which will be the studio. Once the sound proofing goes in I will feed the 10mm feed in and put a consumer unit in for the room and turn everything off with this when I leave. Everything which has a switch will be turned off first but helps will all those power packs that get left plugged 24/7