For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By LUGOD83 Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:47 pm
Per the recommendation of my good friend. I am looking into tracking my mpc 1000 into a daw to have extended flexibility with my beats.

I have a couple questions If someone would be so kind to help me out.

1st. It looks like Ive narrowed down the program I will be using to do this to FL studio 11, out of the other daws I have available (cubase 5, and adobe audition CC) It seems this would be the easiest to set up in.

2. I have a couple midi cables on the way but for right now I'm just trying to set the software up so once I get them I'm good to go. However, When I go into my Midi options in Fl studio, and even Cubase for that matter, My sound card is not a selectable device. Is this because theres currently no midi chain connected or is my sound card junk?

3. Lastly. Im trying to get the hang of multi tracking in fl studio, but while recording my audio, the recording keeps being dropped down to the channel below the previous at the end of a pattern ( even in song mode) almost like its in a loop recording, Im trying to get my audio to record to a single track left to right in linear fashion for like the length of a song, can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong? thanks
By GotHemi Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 am
1. Pretty much any modern DAW is suited for multi recording tracks, FL Studio should be fine for this.

2. Some units are tricky and have a not-so-easy time at being recognized by the PC. You may want to turn off or disconnect your interface completely & restart the computer. BEFORE you start up FL Studio or any other DAW, turn your interface back on completely. Give it about 5-10 seconds & make sure your PC has recognized it. Now start up the DAWs. If they still aren't recognizing them, I know FL Studio has a refresh option where it re-scans devices in the Audio & MIDi option screens.

3. FL Studio has "Loop Record / enable overdub" turned on by default, I believe. It's a button up by where you can toggle countdown, metronome, wait, etc. on or off. It's an icon with a capital R and an arrow beside the R. (R<-). Try turning that off and when you start recording, try going into Song Mode, because in pattern mode, it will only record for however long you have the pattern set to. In song mode, I think it just keeps going until you stop it.

Hope some of this helped & sorry if it was long winded :)
By terry towelling Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:29 am
the mpc1000 is generally thought to not have the best sound due to the quality of the DA convertors. if you use the digital outs to track out you get a better sound (well, it sounds better to me). you can only track out two channels at a time. but once you've synched up your DAW and MPC, i found it very easy to quickly do multiple passes.