For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Dioe Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:11 am
Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be new to the mpc brand once the live drops, my question is... on the mpc live which speakers will I need? Are they active speaker/ monitors or passive speaker/ monitors??? I need to know this as I want to be totally free from the computer or a power cable, I have a newmark pt01 scratch which is battery powered, and with the mpc live the possibilities of outdoor action is endless, any help on which speakers would be great, active or passive? Thanks in advance :hmmm:
By Wormhelmet Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 pm
Dioe wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be new to the mpc brand once the live drops, my question is... on the mpc live which speakers will I need? Are they active speaker/ monitors or passive speaker/ monitors??? I need to know this as I want to be totally free from the computer or a power cable, I have a newmark pt01 scratch which is battery powered, and with the mpc live the possibilities of outdoor action is endless, any help on which speakers would be great, active or passive? Thanks in advance :hmmm:

Well, you have answered your own question - you said you wanted to be free from the computer or a power cable. Passive speakers will require an amp that needs a power cable.

If you are looking for battery powered speaker solution, check out the IK Multimedia iLoud or Mackie Freeplay. Both would pair up to the Live just fine. Both can be run on battery power. Do you really want to use the Live and speakers in completely portable mode? No other synths to hook up with it? There is the Novation Circuit and Roland Boutique series that run on batteries too. With the Mackie freeplay, you can mix two input sources and still have no power cable needed hooking up a Roland boutique synth and MPC Live
By Ill-Green Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 am
Active speakers would be the ticket but you would still have to plug them into an electrical outlet as you would for an amp powering passive speakers. But if space is an issue and you can do without the amp, active speakers are recommended.

Like Wormhelmet said, there are battery powered active speakers, I use a pair of Sony that takes 3 AAA batteries for my ES2 and the sound is pretty deep and clear. Lasts 8 to 9 hours.
By Dioe Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:25 pm
What are the Sony ones?
By Dioe Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:31 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:
Dioe wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be new to the mpc brand once the live drops, my question is... on the mpc live which speakers will I need? Are they active speaker/ monitors or passive speaker/ monitors??? I need to know this as I want to be totally free from the computer or a power cable, I have a newmark pt01 scratch which is battery powered, and with the mpc live the possibilities of outdoor action is endless, any help on which speakers would be great, active or passive? Thanks in advance :hmmm:

Well, you have answered your own question - you said you wanted to be free from the computer or a power cable. Passive speakers will require an amp that needs a power cable.

If you are looking for battery powered speaker solution, check out the IK Multimedia iLoud or Mackie Freeplay. Both would pair up to the Live just fine. Both can be run on battery power. Do you really want to use the Live and speakers in completely portable mode? No other synths to hook up with it? There is the Novation Circuit and Roland Boutique series that run on batteries too. With the Mackie freeplay, you can mix two input sources and still have no power cable needed hooking up a Roland boutique synth and MPC Live

It does sound like I've answered my own question lol but I'm still unsure, space is a massive issue, hence my stuf/ studio is under the stairs lol, 2 1/2 ft wide by 8ft long, one swivel chair covers the standing room, I've looked at the speakers you've mentioned and out of my price range after paying £800 for the mpc live, they maybe a next year purchase
By Dioe Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Active speakers would be the ticket but you would still have to plug them into an electrical outlet as you would for an amp powering passive speakers. But if space is an issue and you can do without the amp, active speakers are recommended.

Like Wormhelmet said, there are battery powered active speakers, I use a pair of Sony that takes 3 AAA batteries for my ES2 and the sound is pretty deep and clear. Lasts 8 to 9 hours.

What are the Sony ones? Space is very limited, and I'd like them to be portable too, what's the price on these? Thanks