For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Living Bate Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm
potentially moving into a new gaff in a month or so.....and it looks like i might be getting the opportunity to turn the garage into the studes.....

but its just made out of breeze blocks so i will have to do some serious soundproofing.....

is this realistic? or am i likely to just muffle the amount i'm gonna piss the neighbours off?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:11 pm
Soundproofing is tricky business, depends how serious you are and what budget you have. You can appease the neighbours by only working during times when they are out, e.g. if they go to work etc. But you cannot control incoming noise so easily, I guess it depends whether you need silence for microphone recordings.

Room within a room might be the best bet, maybe an off-the-shelf room if funds allow?
By Living Bate Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:19 pm
I'm not concerned with incoming noise. More that i want to be able to be out there at whatever time i want and not be disturbing the neighbours.

The garage is a fair old size and i can afford to lose a bit on all 4 walls, so i was thinking maybe a cavity wall with good sound insulation. But i'm still wondering how effective that will be.

I'm not planning on having it blasting, but i also want to be able to hear it and not stress about someone coming knocking and killing my session.....or landing me on a Channel 5 documentary about nuisance neighbours....

Not too sure on budget at the moment but i will find the funds over time if its a possibility to get what i want (within reason)....
By Living Bate Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm
**** wrote:
Living Bate wrote:i want to be able to be out there at whatever time i want and not be disturbing the neighbours.

Yeh i know but i've got a lovely pair of monitors....i'd like to use them.....
By peterpiper Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm
Most complicated frequencies is the bass range. Since it has much power and a loooong wavelength. It can't be stopped by any lightweighted material so thick, heavy material walls are what you want to use if you want really lower the sound outside of the room.
There is a thread on gearsluts forum on this topic with many advices.
peace
By Ian Canefire Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:35 am
Peace,
I built a shed studio. IT is easy. If you already have a garage then do room in a room. It is very easy and you will be able to track live drums and a bass guitar. No windows. No insulation. Just rockwool between the joints and consider doing the floor and ceiling also.
The first thing to consider is how many people you want to have in the space comfortably. My studio is 12 x16 and it fits a drum kit, keyboardist, vocalist, and two guitarists. If you have a one car garage and it is long and narrow that can be a good thing. If you plan to use a live drum kit then plan around that.
Room in a room will allow you to work late at night. The ventilation needs to be planned properly as well.
I found it was cheaper for me to build myself than to buy a drum room.
WHich is your other option. SOme drum rooms are big enough to hold three people. Costs much though.

In this video you will see the electronic kit in the middle of the room. I now have live kit in its place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yU_5P96lyQ&t=89s
Cheers,
Ian
By Living Bate Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am
Thanks for the replies….i’ll try and dig out the Gearslutz thread and have a look at that….

Nice setup you’ve got there Ian….i’ll definitely be looking to do the floors and ceiling too…...I think it might take a bit of time and money but I’m prepared to put in the shift……luckily there will be a spare bedroom I can use in the meantime….
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:54 pm
The best soundproofing, believe it or not, is plexiglass. We built a 4 sided glass room for a library for when kids get into discussion groups. The only time you heard noise going in or out was when someone opened the glass door, other than that its a silent movie. Its pretty costly though. Then again, its a garage, park your car inside and produce within the vehicle with windows shutted :mrgreen: