For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By ngyagi Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 am
Pretty new to MPC beat making, but loving the MPC1K. Grabbed a kp3+ to add to the workflow because I used to use a kp2 with electribe sampler many years ago.

Been playing around a bit and feeling that the kaoss effects are not really the right flavour and there's a whole heap I just don't use. Making mostly lofi instrumental hiphop.

So my radar has picked up on the existence of the sp404sx. I'm thinking of trading in the kp3 for one (don't want to have both) especially as it'd be a portable option for travelling with. And still has a decent fx array for resampling/jamming with the MPC.

Anyone using this combo or mpc+kp3 for hip hop production? Thoughts? Are there other stand alone beat production/fx units that would be worth considering?
By Cockdiesel Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 pm
I used a 4000 into a kp3 into a Roland sp555 for years. It's a good setup for live jamming, with being able to record sequences and loops then transitioning between the three. I would highly recommend it. I'm planning on getting another kp3 and have a similar setup using the new digitakt, kp3 and analog heat.

I'd keep the kp3 if I were you you and look into the 404 vs getting a digitakt for just a little bit more. The kp3 works awesome for live jamming with use of loops and even if you're making Lofi ( as I do) it can really help with sound design.

In fact I miss the setup I had before it got stolen. It gave me the exact sound I was looking for. Between the two it made a killer lofi sound, I was never able to recreate. Although I was able to come close with some of the effects on ableton, it just seemed a little clean for my taste.

Just my two cents...
By ngyagi Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 am
Thanks, I'm partly tempted to keep the kp3 if it doesn't sell. It certainly has the fun factor jamming wise. Did you ever use yours to save samples? Or just as an effects /sound sculptor?
By Cockdiesel Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm
The sampler was basic but yeah I would save samples on it. You can chop up the samples in a weird way and I would save them to mess with later. It's been some years but I would save loops one shots, etc. you can chop up the loops you make from what I recall.