For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By starmanwarz Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:35 pm
I'm about to buy an audio interface and I'm planning my setup but I can't figure out which is the most optimal way to hook up everything together.

Right now, without an interface, I have everything (samplers, synths, turntables, monitors and my PC) connected to a 10 channel Yamaha mixer (MG10/2). If I buy an audio interface (let's say the Audient ID14, 2in 2out), my mixer's output will go into the interface's input, and in it's output I'll connect the monitors. With this setup, I don't think it's possible to record from my PC into my samplers, right? Unless I connect the headphone output on the interface into the input of a sampler.

Is there another way? Am I missing something? Would an interface with more outputs help somehow?
By starmanwarz Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 pm
Wal Martian wrote:You could send the interface outputs back to the mixer and hook the monitors up to the main outs of the mixer. Then you could sample the PC from the RCA "Rec Out" or an Aux send on the mixer.

Hmm, if I were to route the output of the interface back to my mixer, in which mixer input would I connect it to?

Also, am I not losing on quality if my monitors aren't connected straight to the audio interface but the mixer instead? Isn't it like "bypassing" the interface's converters (which are probably much better than the ones on the mixer)?
By Wal Martian Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:25 am
starmanwarz wrote:
Wal Martian wrote:You could send the interface outputs back to the mixer and hook the monitors up to the main outs of the mixer. Then you could sample the PC from the RCA "Rec Out" or an Aux send on the mixer.

Also, am I not losing on quality if my monitors aren't connected straight to the audio interface but the mixer instead? Isn't it like "bypassing" the interface's converters (which are probably much better than the ones on the mixer)?

No you aren't bypassing the converters, the converters are turning digital data into an analog audio signal, to bypass them would require a digital connection like a completely different interface. Once the signal is analog, sending it to the mixer does add the mixer's own "coloration" to the signal, to an audiophile this may be a negative thing. I do it with my ancient console without issue, it's sort of like using the pc with interface in place of a tape machine in a traditional setup. for inputs just choose any two.