For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By ArtexAS Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 am
Not full blast scratching, just if you want to reverse or rewind a bit, rather than lifting the needle each time.

I was gifted a belt drive table, not a direct drive, so I'm asking if doing this will break anything.
By JUKE 179r Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 am
You can rewire it and add a 6 post switch to reverse the belt's drive motor.
I've done this on a Technics SLBD1 and 22 turntable.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:32 pm
My bro started on beltdrives for scratching. Worked out well for him until he bought a pair Technics 1200s and he confirms its buttery smooth compared to the old beltdrives. However, he said its best to start on beltdrives to gain the skill of scratching.

So the answer is yes, in fact I own a Numark USB turntable for 10 years, reversing records like mad to catch a sample. The belt and mechanics are still functionable.
By Heavie Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:09 pm
Ill-Green wrote:My bro started on beltdrives for scratching. Worked out well for him until he bought a pair Technics 1200s and he confirms its buttery smooth compared to the old beltdrives. However, he said its best to start on beltdrives to gain the skill of scratching.

Yes Sir, that's how I started. Practice and practice on belts, until I got my first pair of 12s in "93" and became vicious.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:34 pm
Heavie wrote:

Yes Sir, that's how I started. Practice and practice on belts, until I got my first pair of 12s in "93" and became vicious.

Is that you Lo? :o :lol: :lol:

Word, this was around that time. I remember something he was saying how you develop a sense of timing with the turntables and you know how the belts operate internally, then when he upgraded to the 12s that "mental-timing" became beastmatic. :smoker: