For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Jrogersz Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:15 pm
What's up guys. So I'm not new to making beats, I have a 2000xl I've been using for a couple years. I do it just to do it, I've never recorded a beat I ususally just make them and delete them, I'm a hip hop head so it's fun no matter what. I've always ONLY had my MPC and my record player that I sample from.

With that being said, I recently bought a microkorg and want to get my set up legit and start really doing this beatmaking thing.

Basically I'm just wondering if the set up I want is all compatible/practical to work together.

So I have the XL and record player already and korg keyboard(obviously). I plan on buying a mixer and an interface, is that all I would need?? Do I need both the mixer AND interface? Note also that I don't have a laptop. Is this still all compatible and easy enough to hook up to some speakers? I'll eventually get a laptop but for now I just want all my stuff connected and easy to use and make a good solid beat.

Thanks in advance to anybody who replies! Peace!
By tapedeck Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:23 pm
you dont need the interface until you have a computer so hold off on that.

id say get whatever mixer you can find and then tweak it work - there are a lot of options and telling you what's best is sort of pointless. so get what you can and then make that work.

one thing to bear in mind is that a dj mixer and a regular mixer are going to be pretty different in how they work. since you already got the turntable to mpc figured out, id say lean towards a regular mixer.
By Jrogersz Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm
tapedeck wrote:you dont need the interface until you have a computer so hold off on that.

id say get whatever mixer you can find and then tweak it work - there are a lot of options and telling you what's best is sort of pointless. so get what you can and then make that work.

one thing to bear in mind is that a dj mixer and a regular mixer are going to be pretty different in how they work. since you already got the turntable to mpc figured out, id say lean towards a regular mixer.

Hell yeah thanks man that helps! I know it's a dj mixer but there's a cheap vestax mixer on Craigslist for sale near me so I might just have to go with that just based on being broke lol. I don't want to do too much filtering per say, I pretty much just want my MPC and korg to be connected and playing out the same speakers at the same time.
By tapedeck Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm
then yes - i think a cheap vestax is a great idea. i always say go for whats available vs. letting the internet send you on a goose chase for somebody else's idea of a perfect option.

you will probably need 1/4" to RCA adapters or cables to connect the mpc to and korg to the mixer.
By Jrogersz Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 pm
tapedeck wrote:then yes - i think a cheap vestax is a great idea. i always say go for whats available vs. letting the internet send you on a goose chase for somebody else's idea of a perfect option.

you will probably need 1/4" to RCA adapters or cables to connect the mpc to and korg to the mixer.

Thanks for the help man appreciate it!
By Lampdog Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm
Monitors. Active = Amp inside each cabinet are the way to go if you don't care to have a full on amp. Monitor outs can go to the main output of the mixer/interface.

There are some mixer+interface devices out there, both in one.

Plenty others if you look around. Check specs of everything and see what fits your needs and budget.

By richie Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 pm
Find a used Mackie VLZ series mixer like the 1402 or 1604 and be a champion.