For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Jrogersz Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:53 pm
*my set up is the following: MPCXL, microkorg(not microkorg XL) and simple numark mixer. That being said...

So I recently bought a microkorg after wanting one for a while. I have everything set up to my mixer, the XL and korg are sync' via midi and I can record the korg sounds on the mpc etc. and all that good shit.

What I have a problem with is when I record something over my drums(which were made on the mpc) with the korg(let's say it's some bass notes), I get the bass line I want I record it, it's all good. Then I go to switch sounds on the korg and whatever I switch it to(let's say a synth piano) the bass notes are now playing in synth notes... wtf??? I want to be able to do different tracks with the korg and right now I'm restricted to 1 because every time I try to add multiple sounds/tracks via korg it switches my sound???

I am new to the whole midi thing, I've had my XL for years but never had a keyboard, so I am very confused and frustrated. If anyone can help me it'll be greatly appreciated. I've tried to find something about this on YouTube and there's nothing. Thanks in advance guys!
Last edited by Jrogersz on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Jrogersz Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:38 pm
Lampdog wrote:http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTcdfYW81ZctUABoInnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByb2lvbXVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1506659416/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fi.korg.com%2fuploads%2fSupport%2fmicroKORG_XL_OM_E1_633989730160880000.pdf/RK=1/RS=T5j1OiIG2g7tMS8FUyS.9LTPNvs-

Pg 81
I don't own a computer. Also, I don't have a microkorg XL just a regular microkorg. My set up is microkorg, XL, and a mixer.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm
Also I recall many saying microkorg is NOT multi-timbral.

Meaning it cannot use diff instruments on different midi channels. You get 1, only 1. That would be why when you change instruments it acts the way it acts.

Get a multi timbral keyboard and THEN you can assign 16 instruments on 16 diff midi channels....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=170181&p=1617807&hilit=microkorg+multi+timbral#p1617807

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=175811&p=1670521&hilit=microkorg+multi+timbral#p1670521

search.php?keywords=microkorg+multi+timbral&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=200&t=0&submit=Search
By Jrogersz Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:Also I recall many saying microkorg is NOT multi-timbral.

Meaning it cannot use diff instruments on different midi channels. You get 1, only 1. That would be why when you change instruments it acts the way it acts.

Get a multi timbral keyboard and THEN you can assign 16 instruments on 16 diff midi channels....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=170181&p=1617807&hilit=microkorg+multi+timbral#p1617807

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=175811&p=1670521&hilit=microkorg+multi+timbral#p1670521

search.php?keywords=microkorg+multi+timbral&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=200&t=0&submit=Search
hey thankyou man these help a lot! Seems like you can program it with the mpc to have 2 sounds at the most. I appreciate you providing those links
By Lampdog Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 am
Almost everyone here and myself are here to help and get you up and running!
Learn the basics, get em down pat. Problems? Come to us, we are here to help.

Me, I have a triton extreme kybd so I understand the multi timbral thing. My kybd can do exactly what you wanted to do, which is change midi number and assign that number to a new patch/instrument.

Microkorg and even microkorg xl cannot do that. It is limited to 1.

You should have asked here before purchasing microkorg. We probably could have suggested something better, multi-timbral based on your budget.
By Wal Martian Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 pm
Lampdog wrote:My kybd can do exactly what you wanted to do, which is change midi number and assign that number to a new patch/instrument.

I've been doing this with my 3K and a Yamaha Motif rack, it's a pretty great workflow to get ideas down. I remember seeing videos of Rick Rock and one of Eric Sermon doing this and I was determined to figure it out.
By Lampdog Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:06 am
Motif, that one, I believe is a workstation and so it's 16 part multi-timbral.
I've only had ASR10 and Triton Extreme and have always enjoyed 16 parts mutli-timbrality with both when I needed it. It's great. I always encourage checking machine specs before purchasing cause sooner or later one day you'll try to do this (and many other things) and you will be PISSED when your gear can't do it.

Even my old red EMU Turbo Phatt is 32 MT, it's the greatest, quickest sound module I've ever had to start up jam out with.