For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Jrogersz Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:14 pm
Any opinions welcome, just wondering what the best synth would be to pair with my XL. I sample from vinyl, I use drum breaks, very old school. I had a microkorg before and got rid of it because it has nothing close to that hip hop sound I want, the sounds were pretty corny sounding to me and way too electronic.

I’m wanting something with good warm bass and just other solid(nothing special at all) synth features. I don’t know shit about key boards so I guess a moog would be good? Idk lol

Thanks guys!
By Lampdog Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 am
Moogs cost. R u ready for that price?

Your MicroKorg was actually a very decent machine. You didn't take time to learn to manipulate sounds.
Sounds like you were out for default sounds?! Not good at all. Some default sounds in almost all machines are good yes but to get exactly what you want you need to create it to your own specifications, you didn't.

Figure out your budget, find workstations in that range. Midi controllers will offer no sounds.
By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 am
how you gunna tell me I didn’t take time to learn it lol, do you know me? I play piano my man. “I don’t know shit about key boards” as in I’ve never owned one, not I don’t know how to play it... the microkorg is wack, and you only get 1 track/sound on the XL with it. And did you not read the part where I said I sample from vinyl? I ain’t into “default sounds” I get everything I program from scratch. Default sounds are indeed not good, which is why I got rid of the microkorg and am in search for something that will compliment the XL more than that wack synth(microkorg). Use your brain fool, peace.
Lampdog wrote:Moogs cost. R u ready for that price?

Your MicroKorg was actually a very decent machine. You didn't take time to learn to manipulate sounds.
Sounds like you were out for default sounds?! Not good at all. Some default sounds in almost all machines are good yes but to get exactly what you want you need to create it to your own specifications, you didn't.

Figure out your budget, find workstations in that range. Midi controllers will offer no sounds.
By vout Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:26 am
Studio Electronics SE-1 or SE-1X have all the solid vintage (Moog) vibe you need - killer basses, smooth leads, just all-round great sounding synths. Modern Moogs sound too precise in comparison. SE ATC-1 is also very good but does not have all the knobs. They are not cheap though.

Or maybe one of the Dreadbox synths, haven't used one myself, but they seem to have a very warm organic sound that a lot of people like.
By JUKE 179r Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:10 am
Jrogersz wrote: Use your brain fool, peace.

jrogersz.... with only 4 more days to go, I see a 2017 CBOTY award win in your future homeboy. :lol:
By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 am
No clue what that is but ok
JUKE 179r wrote:
Jrogersz wrote: Use your brain fool, peace.

jrogersz.... with only 4 more days to go, I see a 2017 CBOTY award win in your future homeboy. :lol:
By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Alone yeah, to pair with the XL via midi... hell no. You only get 1 track/sound from the microkorg and that’s it.
tapedeck wrote:microkorg is a great choice
By Lampdog Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:40 pm
Jrogersz wrote:Use your brain fool..

Yeah you should have used it when you obtained the microkorg and later found that it's not
multitimbral. Micorkorg is not the best but it's highly doable. Take time to program and get to know it, you
didn't, and that's fine.

Hiphop has sounds that don't sound "hiphop", didn't you know? Moog, for hiphop, yeah that's very doable.
But you flew through default sounds and based your disgust on that. Almost anyone can tell you it's all in
how you use your sounds along with features and options, not automagically what you find in defaults.

You play piano, cool. Here's a......

By tapedeck Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm
Jrogersz wrote:microkorg is wack, and you only get 1 track/sound on the XL with it.

guess a moog sucks too then :roll:

a microkorg is a great budget choice
if you can afford it, a moog is a great choice

the moog will be even more limited because it will only do one sound at a time.

with both of them, you could also sample them.
and technically, a microkorg can do 2 part multi-timbrality.

if you can't make a synth work for yer mpc, thats on you. if you want multitimbral, then you probably don't want a synth, you want a workstation like a motif.

yall crazy
By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm
That’s why I’m on here asking bro, thanks for the info tho, like I said I really don’t know shit about synths/keyboards
tapedeck wrote:
Jrogersz wrote:microkorg is wack, and you only get 1 track/sound on the XL with it.

guess a moog sucks too then :roll:

a microkorg is a great budget choice
if you can afford it, a moog is a great choice

the moog will be even more limited because it will only do one sound at a time.

with both of them, you could also sample them.
and technically, a microkorg can do 2 part multi-timbrality.

if you can't make a synth work for yer mpc, thats on you. if you want multitimbral, then you probably don't want a synth, you want a workstation like a motif.

yall crazy
By Harmoncj Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 am
mrcrappypantson wrote:Yamaha DX7. Nothing warmer than sine waves...

Not sure if joking but I like the Yamaha DX stuff. I would skip the big ass keyboard anyways, there are rack modules like tx81z you can trigger from the MPC.
By 6/8 Stanley Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:57 am
Back in the 90's I discovered a Nord lead synth they had hooked up at guitar center. I'd bought a bunch of guitar stuff there so they didn't look at me funny if I messed around with stuff. I couldn't afford it but I'd go in every time I was there to beat on the thing. Nice bass. It sounded like what Stevie Wonder plays in "Hotter Than July". Can't play chords on it though. You can still get them on Ebay, not cheap though.