For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Farooq Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:53 pm
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183304

This thread outlines the problem, basically boutique synths only have MIDI IN and OUT and treat the OUT as THRU. I have a boutique synth with a MPC 2000xl. I was wondering if I connected the MIDI OUT of the boutique to the mpc MIDI IN to control (with the K-25m) a akai s950 connected to mpc midi in would it create a feedback loop? I am moving to a small room and I won't have space for a full sized keyboard (or a midi controller). The k-25m's small form factor solves this issue.

Also, is there any combination of Akai's S950 which has MIDI IN, OUT, and THRU, that can allow me to connect both the MIDI IN and OUT of the boutique to prevent a feedback loop so I can sequence both. Right now I can live with sampling into the S950 and using it for sequences, but then the boutique just becomes a sound module that I sample from. It would be nice to be able sequence both with the k-25m keyboard.

Edit: Tried the setup. No feedback loop. Still wondering if there is a way to use K-25m keyboard and the sound module together without a loop though.
By Blue Monster 65 Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:52 pm
Setting different midi receive channels for each should solve that, no? You’ll have to switch channels on your keyboard, depending on which module you want to control.

Example: I used two different apps (iMini and iSEM) on my iPad through my Live and controlled all three with a Samson Graphite 25 keyboard. Each had a different midi channel set, so I merely had to switch between channels on the keyboard to play each one. I ran the keyboard into the Live via 5-pin midi cable, then went out of the Live and into the iPad via usb.

Wouldn’t a similar setup work for you?
By Wal Martian Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm
I think your setup can be simplified, the keys go to the MPC and the MPC sequences trigger the modules/samplers. No need to send anything IN to the MPC besides keyboard performances.
K-25m MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN A
MPC MIDI OUT A to JU06 MIDI IN
MPC MIDI OUT B to S900 MIDI IN
By tapedeck Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 pm
Wal Martian wrote:I think your setup can be simplified, the keys go to the MPC and the MPC sequences trigger the modules/samplers. No need to send anything IN to the MPC besides keyboard performances.
K-25m MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN A
MPC MIDI OUT A to JU06 MIDI IN
MPC MIDI OUT B to S900 MIDI IN

i agree this is a great setup. one other option is to just use one midi out of the mpc, the thru on another synth, and set up your channels correctly.

still, the way i quoted is simpler because you dont need to worry about channels on the synths.