For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Rokgod Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:05 am
I just picked one up used, anyone here have one? I previously owned one when it came out, but returned it because the sequencer and sampler section were a complete downgrade from the Fantom X and G series so I was but disappointed.

Recently Ive been researching this keyboard as well as a few other Korgs and yamahas in the same range and also was looking at picking up a used fantom x/g again. Since in reality Ive always really used an mpc to sequence/sample I decided to just go with the FA-06 even though I had already returned one before, and even though korg and yamaha might have slightly better sound.

I was already familiar with the roland workflow and even though the FA-06 is still a little funky compared to the x or the g fantoms the sounds on this thing are incredible. I downloaded all the SRX expansions from the Roland Axial site and in the next few days I will be loading in a ton of custom sounds created using the roland integra synth engine that I can just import into the FA because it basically has the same synth engine as the integra. I am just blown away by the quality of sound on this thing, its noticeably better overall compared to the sounds on the X and G even though a lot of sounds are the same but the new sounds, synth engine, and free sound libraries you can download from Rolands website make this thing a beast.

Now with the FA, the only instrument plug ins I see myself using are maybe the Arturia Collection, Kontakt and a few other plug in synths here and there but man does this FA pack some nice sounds. It's not built as rugged as the old fantoms, its plastic and not metal but its also light and easier to travel with. The the buttons are all black and hard to see in dim light but you easily begin memorizing your go to buttons. The sampler isn't a real sampler, the pads and sequencer kind of suck but thats why we have mpc. I picked one up on eBay for $797 you guys should check it out if your looking for a keyboard with huge set of usable sounds and dont want to spend a couple grand.
By Lampdog Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:10 am
The FA sampling is almost identical to the SP series. That is what turned me off.
By ontherun Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 am
i have mine for 2 years now and still like to sit down with it.
I only use the sampler to sample some stuff and melodies i created.
Really like to layer 2-3 synth parts or take organ preset and slow that down.

Im using a Beatstep pro to lay done some ideas, if i like that i record the midi into my mpc and compose further.
By Rokgod Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am
Lampdog wrote:The FA sampling is almost identical to the SP series. That is what turned me off.

Yeah I kind of came to the conclusion I won't be touching the pads on the keyboard unless its to switch parts but aside from that its a good roland keyboard with some nice sounds, also has a daw control feature I haven't used yet