For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Rokgod Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 am
One day I will probably be replacing my Event Tr-6 monitors as my main set of mixing speakers. I don't want to go bigger than 6" woofers, preferably 5"

I love the flatness of the Yamaha's, very accurate, clear mids and highs but the bass on the 5" really lacking, I would possibly need a subwoofer... and no way am doing that, don't want a subwoofer. With my room size no way I'm going bigger than 6" monitors, 7" is really pushing it in a room thats roughly 20'ft L x 10'ft W with about a 7 1/2 to 8 ft ceiling height.

I need something as close to the Yamaha hs50 as possible in terms of accurate flat frequency response for mixing...but also has the low end I need...BUT without a subwoofer. I need something with 5"-6" woofers in the $300-$750/pair price range. Ive listened to JBL Lsr3, krk rockits, they sound ok but I'm worried they aren't giving a flat enough response. I also was looking at the Mackie mr524 which has a nice little room control section on the back. They all sound good to me but I feel like some of these speakers may be exaggerating certain frequencies, also theres a ton of other monitors out there Ive never heard or haven't had the opportunity to test so I'm wondering what some of you guys think. What are you guys using and what are you looking to buy in future possibly? How should I assess my options?
By Lampdog Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm
Blue Monster 65 wrote:You can get a pair of Focal Alpha 50's for less than $600.

Edit: Here's the Sweetwater link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha50 (no, I don't work there)

Never heard these but the specs read nice, they look like the designer cared about looks also.
By Blue Monster 65 Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 pm
Focal monitors are fantastic!

They’re pronounced fo (pho?) cal. I met some of their team at Gear Fest and they were all French. Nice company that really cares about their products. They get expensive fast!
By saltmcgault Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:17 pm
Rokgod wrote:One day I will probably be replacing my Event Tr-6 monitors as my main set of mixing speakers. I don't want to go bigger than 6" woofers, preferably 5"

I love the flatness of the Yamaha's, very accurate, clear mids and highs but the bass on the 5" really lacking, I would possibly need a subwoofer... and no way am doing that, don't want a subwoofer. With my room size no way I'm going bigger than 6" monitors, 7" is really pushing it in a room thats roughly 20'ft L x 10'ft W with about a 7 1/2 to 8 ft ceiling height.

I need something as close to the Yamaha hs50 as possible in terms of accurate flat frequency response for mixing...but also has the low end I need...BUT without a subwoofer. I need something with 5"-6" woofers in the $300-$750/pair price range. Ive listened to JBL Lsr3, krk rockits, they sound ok but I'm worried they aren't giving a flat enough response. I also was looking at the Mackie mr524 which has a nice little room control section on the back. They all sound good to me but I feel like some of these speakers may be exaggerating certain frequencies, also theres a ton of other monitors out there Ive never heard or haven't had the opportunity to test so I'm wondering what some of you guys think. What are you guys using and what are you looking to buy in future possibly? How should I assess my options?

I have a pair of rokit 6"s i think i got them and the stands 5-6 years ago for like a little under $400 and they still sound amazing for listening to music and samples, although i wish i bought the 8"s. I like to listen to what im making loud af. i never use headphones. Im pretty sure my neighbors in my apt building hate me. :lol: but i live above some bars in the downtown bar district so f%#%'em.