For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By tres Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 pm
what's up everybody, ok here's the sitch:

my old way of working: 2000xl → m-audio firewire solo → '07 macbook.

the old macbook finally crapped out so i bought a new one with high sierra, and now my firewire solo is too old for mac's os 10.13.
So I'm seeing my options as: buy an new interface with 8-ins or for about the same price, buy the renaissance. I was considering the maschine, but it doesn't have an interface, so i'd still have to buy one to connect to my laptop. i'm leaning towards the ren because it is my understanding that it has its own interface, so no additional equipment is needed.
now, my concern is this: i've seen a lot of comments about the ren's integration with logic not being great. i'd love to work on this machine, but I really don't want to deal with tech issues. will i be able to just plug in and record/track out my projects on logic easily? or would it be simpler to keep the current set up & buy something like a scarlett or apollo interface? thanks for any help.
By JUKE 179r Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm
Sell the XL, skip the REN and go for the MPC X. You’ll thank me later.
You can get some good money selling the XL. I recently sold my blue XL for $800 on eBay. :smoker:
By Sharris Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 pm
Just an fyi, Maschine Mk3 has a built in interface & I think it sounds pretty good. Plus it's really hands on, after I turn my laptop on, I close the screen, I don't touch the mouse or the laptop. It comes with a TON of samples & vst's. I'll admit I don't use them, but only because I prefer vinyl, hardware synths & makin my own sounds, but the vst's & samples sound really good & Maschine has a similar workflow to an MPC. Choppin is crazy fast too. & if you like the sound of your XL, combine it with Machine since it has inputs & midi. Only throwin this out there as something to think about. I'm sure the MPC X is amazing as well! & I thought about the Renaissance as well, but already have 2 MPC's so I went for the Mk3. & happy I did.