For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Stevejaz Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:08 pm
I'm looking for a simple active preamp to boost the level of my Tele when plugged into my Live2. I just want something quick and easy, mainly for trying ideas rather than "keeper" recordings. I have plenty of gear for that. If possible something USB rechargeable. Any suggestions? I'm happy with the amp sims and effects in the MPC for this purpose. Thanks for any suggestions.
By 6/8 Stanley Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:59 am
Maybe a pedal? I might try something like a Big Muff Clone, V-Twin or whatever I already have that has a gain knob.
By Stevejaz Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:22 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote:Maybe a pedal? I might try something like a Big Muff Clone, V-Twin or whatever I already have that has a gain knob.

Yeah thanks 6/8 Stanley. I'm currently travelling (Grey Nomad in a caravan). I have a VL3x with me but it's a bit big and awkward, not to mention a pain to power. Been looking into pre-amp pedals but a lot seem to need external power. I got the Live2 for it's compact, stand alone functionality rather than sample chopping. Sort of a portable alternative to my computer based home studio.
ATM I'm leaning towards a cheap (Behringer etc) amp in a box pedal. Pedals that may work range from about $50-$1500. For my current use, a $50 one should be fine but I'm also thinking in terms of something that would work for me at home, as well. For what it's worth I play mainly clean, Jazz, Country etc.
I do want to limit it to something that at least has a contained 9volt battery, or if possible USB powered. Would be great to power it from the Live2.
Been watching lots of you tube re Clean Boost, Overdrive, Preamp, etc etc pedals but most of the better ones need external power.
I will be passing through a City with a music store in a couple of weeks and happy to see what they have in stock. Can always take the Live2 in with me to try anything they have. Otherwise it's order online.
By Stevejaz Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:30 am
Just picked up a Fender Level Set Buffer after trying it out in a shop. That in itself was a laugh. Here in Country Music Central in Queensland Australia also known as the Beef capitol of Australia. They had never heard of an MPC let alone seen one. Thing is that although it only rates 12db of gain it proved to be plenty and gives a clean tone into MPC. Totally uncoloured. Other big thing was the price. It’s one of a range of mid priced pedals released by Fender a while ago, and while the others were popular, reverbs, overdrives, delays etc, theses just didn’t sell at that price. Ended up paying 1/3 the original retail price for a good clean boost that exactly fits the bill for guitar into MPC. I’m assuming here it will work well for vocal mic too. Gets everything to the right level to then use built in amp modelling and effects. Worth looking for at reduced price if you’re looking for something like this.
By Ill-Green Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:52 am
A nice cab-sim pedal. Has all types of preamps and amp head simulators. I use a Joyo Chopper Z but there are many models and brands. What I like about that pedal is that the output can be switched to Line out and I can connect directly into my 8 track recorder without a seperate isolation room. My setup is GUITAR > PEDALS > CABSIM > 8TRK > ×2 MONITORS.
By terry towelling Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:59 am
Stevejaz wrote:Just picked up a Fender Level Set Buffer after trying it out in a shop. That in itself was a laugh. Here in Country Music Central in Queensland Australia also known as the Beef capitol of Australia. They had never heard of an MPC let alone seen one. Thing is that although it only rates 12db of gain it proved to be plenty and gives a clean tone into MPC. Totally uncoloured. Other big thing was the price. It’s one of a range of mid priced pedals released by Fender a while ago, and while the others were popular, reverbs, overdrives, delays etc, theses just didn’t sell at that price. Ended up paying 1/3 the original retail price for a good clean boost that exactly fits the bill for guitar into MPC. I’m assuming here it will work well for vocal mic too. Gets everything to the right level to then use built in amp modelling and effects. Worth looking for at reduced price if you’re looking for something like this.

are you rocking out in Rockhampton?