For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By The Jackal Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43 am
...no not my 2000XL, my beloved E-Mu Ultra :(

Upgraded the PSU, fan, display, hard drive, etc., throughout the years, but lately I boot it up...and it freezes; last time I disassembled/reassembled it to fix it, but it's so old probably needs to be recapped ($$$ which might not even fix problem) or just dying. Almost impossible to repair and prices they go for are same $$$ as some modern gear, so...

I'm here to ask for help :worthy:

I need a new sampler

What I like about my current sampler:
- multitimbral; functions as multiple synths
- sound design; envelopes, lfos, z-plane filters, modulation
- stem playback machine: sequence on 2000XL, sample, trigger from sampler via MIDI
- 4 stereo outputs, doubles as 8 mono outputs
- resamples internally, samples while being sequenced

Things I can compromise on:
- sound design; i have enough synths/fx that I don't need all the envelopes, filters, lfos to create my own sounds on the sampler
- can deal with 4 outputs, don't need a lot of MIDI channels
- possibly willing to replace 2000XL if another MPC covers it's duties AND my E-mu

What I wish to accomplish:
- stem recording & playback i.e. sample gear sequenced by MPC to get away from MIDI and commit to audio
- resampling or sampler still able to record itself while being sequenced/triggered
- real-time audio mangling/fx/knob twiddling/automations
- multiple outputs to divide stems out & group similar sounds/frequencies
- record/resample/modulate/load/move around/chop/edit/view/save/revert audio easily

Things I looked at or thought of off the top of my head...:

- Elektron Octratrack
lose a lot of synth capabilities, but gain playback/manipulation/automation capabilities. Very $$$, but would integrate well with other music I make; could see myself dumping mostly finished patterns & stems into it and basically playing/remixing them on this box as a final mix. Steep learning curve. One of the few items I'd feel comfortable spending $$$ on if I really felt like it could replace my E-Mu despite missing some functions; would keep 2000XL to use with it.

-Akai MPC 4000XL
thought why not get beefed up MPC to replace both E-mu & 2000XL? Looked at prices (I'm out of touch) and went :lol: :lol: :lol: Surprisingly there is an "affordable" one in my area, but I'm not sitting on money. Tbh with what a 2000XL goes for these days...I could basically sell mine and scrounge up some $$$ for the 4000 if I wanted to deal with the stress of trying to make something happen in time before it sells at that price

-Akai S & Z series rackmount samplers
probably most similar to my E-Mu. Z series was the latest model. Mostly only come across Z4 models from Japan? From what I understand, same sampling engine in the 4000XL. Relatively affordable. The S series are even older than my E-mu though :?

-MPC w/jjOS
prices for a 2500 and Octratrack are around the same. The 1000 is more reasonably priced; there is one locally with jjOS and another without, but priced accordingly. Don't know much about jjOS other than there being several versions, but people speak highly of it. From what I understand, jjOS incorporates some of live recording features I'm thinking of. Would love to use my 2000XL and a 1000 side by side.

-Newer MPCs with screens (Live, One, Force, X, etc)
seem like computers/tablets, I've been apprehensive of screens. Been reading a bit though and almost think I need to step into the 21st century with one. Visually sequencing & step editing would be way better. Looking at a screen? See grid & piano roll? Copy, drag, drop MIDI around? Life changing. But i don't know how well one could replace my E-Mu. The One & Live models seem more reasonably priced ~$5-600. For an X, would have to sell 2000XL and still probably pay ~$600 on top of that :?

Things I don't want:
- Other Elektron samplers (Digitakt, Model), Roland SP series, grooveboxes with sampling, Teenage Engineering OP-1 type stuff...all those simpler sample-based machines without a lot of audio outputs that cost as much as more capable dedicated samplers

Feels like tie between Octatrack, MPC 1000 jjOS, MPC One/Live.

I'd be pretty far off from being able to buy an Octatrack and I lose complex synthesis abilities, but it's ability to sample, mangle, modulate is hard to beat. With a 1000, I get to keep my 2000XL. I don't know enough about the One or the Live to figure out yet if they'd be a good replacement sampling-wise or what's the difference between the two, but visually everything would be an improvement because of their screens & interfaces.

Do you have experience with any of these? Do you have any other samplers to suggest? In ideal world I'd just replace what I have with the exact same thing, but I have to make a compromise and find something else now.
By Komatos Records Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:26 pm
Have you considered the rack mount Yamaha samplers from the mid-late 90s? A3000/4000/5000? They should have comparable features and specs to your E-mu. Pricewise and availability, not sure. Probably a few hundred dollars.

I always wanted one back in the day when I had my RM1x and SU700, which I traded in for a RS7000.
By The Jackal Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 pm
Actually I had forgotten about the Yamahas a bit because I was thinking of the much older ones that had really shitty OS; did not remember about the A series, will check into them. I haven't taken Roland rackmounts into consideration because I don't think any were made past the 90s and they shifted focus to their SP series.

Funnily enough, I had a decent chunk of unexpected $$$ come in since posting last night, making most of my list accessible, but I feel mostly tempted by a 1000 w/jjOS and then just a crappy, cheap rackmount sampler at this point. If I got a 2500, I think I'd have to replace my 2000XL with it...but I'd have a hard time getting rid of the XL. Still kind of hard to justify spending $$$ on an Octratrack, especially with them not being intuitive and that being a barrier.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:21 pm
Octotrack will bot satisfy you imo.

Z-Plane is NICE to have (I have emu turbo phatt with 4 modules).
By terry towelling Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:08 am
A second recommendation for a Yamaha A series sampler. the effects and filters are amazing (I have a SU700 that has the same effects and filters).

I would skip the MPC1000.

what about a Roland MV8000? That would be a very good replacement for the XL.
By The Jackal Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 pm
Well I said **** it and picked up an Octatrack today

Tracking down a 1000 too; never thought I'd sell the 2000XL, but these days I can basically get 2-3 times what I put into it and use that to buy newer/better/cheaper, would be crazy not to...

Sell E-mu *as is* (other gear too) and maybe get the Behringer DeepMind; takes care of a good synthesis engine with modulation capabilities like the E-Mu and replaces my large Akai MPK61. More cable clutter goes away, always trying to downsize.

With 1000 + Octratrack combo, I basically get a lot of recording and resampling back & forth on the fly and can make more improvisational music/dynamic arrangements. Start with a little MIDI, samplebouncemangle, use pads to play patterns of what is essentially stems on 1000 while manipulating Octatrack audio and 1000 audio routed through the Octatrack