For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By WavyJonez19 Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm
Would anyone like to explain the difference between Thunderbolt/Ethernet/PCI/USB audio recording interfaces?

Also; another question. Would it be a noticeable difference let's say if I dropped $8,000.00 on an Apogee Symphony I/O recording rack, let's say over a $399.99 Apogee Boom? And why?
By Lampdog Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:45 pm
By WavyJonez19 Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:
WavyJonez19 wrote:Would anyone like to explain the difference between Thunderbolt/Ethernet/PCI/USB audio recording interfaces?

Also; another question. Would it be a noticeable difference let's say if I dropped $8,000.00 on an Apogee Symphony I/O recording rack, let's say over a $399.99 Apogee Boom? And why?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thunderbolt+vs+Ethernet+vs+PCI+vs+USB+audio+interface&sca_esv=40ad471a4e6b196f&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS958US958&hl=en-US&ei=FnHLZZGOC7L8kPIPh76z8AU&oq=Thunderbolt+vs+Ethernet+vs+PCI+vs+USB+audio+interface&gs_lp=EhNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwIjVUaHVuZGVyYm9sdCB2cyBFdGhlcm5ldCB2cyBQQ0kgdnMgVVNCIGF1ZGlvIGludGVyZmFjZTIFECEYoAFI_IsBUO8XWJyKAXACeAGQAQCYAa8BoAGEGqoBBDguMjO4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgoQABhHGNYEGLADwgIIEAAYgAQYogTCAggQIRigARjDBMICBhAhGAoYCsICChAhGAoYoAEYwwTCAgUQIRifBeIDBBgAIEGIBgGQBgg&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

=7601 (the difference).

Lol. I get the commerce/sales difference. But there is a reason why the same manufacturer is selling a USB 2 Line interface for 399.99 and a USB Thunderbolt I/O 4 Line rack for 8,000.
By dabmeister Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:10 pm
WavyJonez19 wrote:Would anyone like to explain the difference between Thunderbolt/Ethernet/PCI/USB audio recording interfaces?

Obviously the answer to your question would be the targeted audience. These days audio manufacturers want to cover the spectrum on both ends. Apogee like some other companies didn't offer affordable gear. I guess when the bubble burst at the point where a lot of these companies noticed there was a market for the millions of "bedroom" recording artist, they had to catch on and make adjustments.

Tascam was one of those companies that have been doing this for decades now. They offered gear to cover the Pro market, as well as the individual artist.

But to answer your initial question...ad/da conversion, parts, and other factors imo distinguish the cost between budget & high end interfaces.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 am
dabmeister wrote:Tascam….

Damn good mid-range imo.
By NearTao Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:05 pm
It’s like asking if you need a lambo or a civic to get to the convenience store down the block. Both will get you there, one might get you more chicks, but one looses far more value as soon as it is off the lot, and the dealer makes more off the higher end product