For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By kaneaudio Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:11 pm
I just got a mac with reason and I want to midi up my mpc 2000 I was told in order to do this I would need to spend $700 on an MOTU 828. Is there a cheaper way to midi it up? Keep in mind I’m new to computer music making so any help on what I would need is greatly appreciated. $700 seems unbelievably expensive way to do it especially since that ‘s about how much the laptop itself cost

By osset Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:38 pm
personally speaking, it definitely sounds a bit out there. . .i would look into a product like a usb to midi interface and see if itll do the trick. . .hopefully somebody can help u out cause i would hate to see u spend that type of money if u dont need to. . .

By ieism Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:12 pm
I don't know who told you that but that's crazy man's talk. The MOTU is an audio interface, and reason won't even allow you to record audio anyway so you'll be stuck with a $700 paperweight.
All you need is a cheap midi-interface and some cables. Since you're using a laptop you're best option is indeed an usb-midi interface.
My advice is to get a 2-in interface right away, it will give you a bit more flexability to add stuff later.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/midiman/USB2x2.php

There's a lot of Reason fans on this forum, so i'm sure they can help you set it up with the mpc.

By kaneaudio Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:24 pm
thanks for your help

By digibird Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:36 am
I agree with Ieism. The Midiman 2x2 he is pointing you to is excellent. I own two of them for 2 different computers. They have worked flawlessly. I really like M Audio products. I also own an Oxygen 8 midi controller by Midiman/M Audio, a 25 key mini-keyboard w/ a buit-in midi interface. This unit works great with the MPC4K if you are interested. Their Audiophile 2496 Soundcard has proven to be an excellent value also in one of my PCs. See www.m-audio.com. Good call, Ieism.