For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By FromthePantoL.A. Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:17 pm
I went to get ready to pick up the Mbox yesterday. I figured that I'd start with getting the firewire card and the firewire external hard drive. I have the G3 laptop. Anyway , I heard so much crap that , now I am totally dis-enchanted with digi-design. I started at Micro Center , where , I was told that you actually need a certain type of hard drive with some " oxford chip set". Well , of course this drive was about twice the price ( $350 ) of the drive I had in mind and the same amount of gigs. I went to the DigiDesign website and they said about the same thing. Now , I heard how dope the thing is but geez! I'm already dropping $450 for the Mbox and another $150- for the firewire card and now this..................I mean I aint exactly broke these days but , it just seems like some funny business. I know companies always f@ck us anyway. I'm just mad. Anyone have any suggestions because if not , I'm about to just grab Reason for $299 and call it a night.

By brainwashcloth Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:33 pm
i dunno, i run pc's, but i do know protools is supposed to be all that. i also know you are going to need a system to run it, and i would think that these days you'd want at least a g4 and not a laptop cause then you would have 7200rpm harddrives anyways and not have the whole firewire/external drive hassle. i would think reason would run on your g3 but you can check the requirments at www.propellerheads.se just to be sure.