For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By BreakMyFever Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:20 am
Does anybody know which headphones are great to use with the MPC (and for studio monitoring in general)?

By brainwashcloth Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:46 pm
I just picked up a pair of sennheiser hd-280's and really dig them. all replacable parts, so if the cable or anything goes bad you can just fix that part easily and keep on rockin. they cost like $100 and are well worth it. They sound great, provide great isolation from ambient noise and have a pretty flat frequency curve. you can read more about them at
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid ... e_id/56778
and
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/ic ... nals_04974

By freq Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:07 pm
Darn near any set of "cans" that cost above $70 will be pretty good. I personally like AKG's (140's or the gold ones?), but everybody freaks on those Sony's. They are very loud and add a lot of bass, but I don't care for them because they color your sound. They make you think yo shiz iz bangin'.
By HoaxOne Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:36 pm
I would go with the AKG-240 for monitoring mainly. On the other hand you could get the Sony MDR-7506. I wouldn't use these as reference monitors, but they are perfect for grooving with your MPC and they are closed-ear design so they'll help eliminate external noise that might sneak into a vocal recording (if you plan on using them when recording vocals).

By freq Thu May 01, 2003 1:14 am
Yo Hoax - that's a cool site you got there for promoting S.D. music. I lived there for 10 years (ex-navy) and did my time in the circuit down there. You know the band dFrost? That's my jiggaz. Keep it craccn nefew!

By Dr.Foo Thu May 01, 2003 2:22 am
I got a PAIR OF generic 70s phones that work better then anything I heard of for mixing.

By digibird Fri May 02, 2003 9:53 am
Another vote for Sony MDR-7506. Around $99 and not fatiguing to wear for hours at a time. However, never let headphones be your only monitoring source. They will lie to you.

By BreakMyFever Fri May 02, 2003 10:13 am
I was reading the HeadRoom Buying Guide and it seems a good headphone cost around $200.

I was thinking of buying the Alesis M1 Active mkII monitors, cause they are cheap and I heard nothing but good things about them. The only thing I don't know is if I could place the monitors in the right way they should be placed, because the room (and especially the table on which all my equipment stands) is not big...

By rasaban Fri May 02, 2003 9:37 pm
I second that on the Sony 7506's ....... the balm

By otniel-one Mon May 05, 2003 6:04 am
-->AKG 240DF