For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Format Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:04 am
how many of you guys with keyboards sample your sequences straight to the box? I just started doing it, I record myself playing the loops, then i chop it up so i can correct any off timing.

I used to do it in Protools, but this lets me stay in my mpc sequencing style...
Forget about MIDI i hate it.

By t_bias Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:31 am
i have learned to love midi.

cos i don't have mad chops on the keys i find it easier to record the
sequences as midi data and the correct any off timing in the MP.

also this keeps your sound sources seperate which is nice when mixing.

but whatever works for you bro, keep it up. midi is a pretty awesome
invention though, took me a long time to come round to it, but it's definitely
rad.

cheers

By ReckOne Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:17 pm
t_bias wrote:i have learned to love midi.

Midi is a b*tch when you first wanna start using it. It's definately worth time to get it all set up and working. When it's working you'll never look back.
By respect_mbs Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 am
Format wrote:how many of you guys with keyboards sample your sequences straight to the box? I just started doing it, I record myself playing the loops, then i chop it up so i can correct any off timing.

I used to do it in Protools, but this lets me stay in my mpc sequencing style...

I used to do that...then i learned how to actually use midi. trust...you'll take that back once you do.

By J.Daniels Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:41 am
I always sample my keyboard and gameboy. Niether of them have midi, although i have some soft synths, for when i have to sequence them properly.

By J.Daniels Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:41 am
I always sample my keyboard and gameboy. Niether of them have midi, although i have some soft synths, for when i have to sequence them properly.
By fader-pro Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:52 am
Format wrote:how many of you guys with keyboards sample your sequences straight to the box? I just started doing it, I record myself playing the loops, then i chop it up so i can correct any off timing.

MIDI is the key for you to break into more than where you are right now. What you describe could be done in less than half the time with better fidelity and alot more control options than your current method....of course you'd have to learn something new....

By dabmeister Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:27 am
I don't know what I'd do without it. Midi is my canvas that helps me portray a picture that'll ultimately blossom into what we all know as, "a song". It's what I also term as..."ones structural foundation".

By konc3pt Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:08 am
midi, even tho Im not a pianist or anything, I'll be playing on the keyboard til I get the timing right. Same thing with the mpc, I'll be redoing a loop over and over to get my drums right so dont gotta quantanize. figure eventually will get good at it and it will come with ease.

By Ras Desta Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:24 am
I only sample keyboards if I've maxed out it's polyphony. For example, my ms2000 is pretty much monophonic, so if I want a bassline and a pad or something, I'm gonna have to sample one of the two. I usually midi the sequence before I decide whether I'm gonna sample it or not. The downside is that sampling doesnt have the same sound that the keyboard has, and you're limited on how much you can tweak the sound once it's been sampled

By fader-pro Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:22 pm
konc3pt wrote:midi, even tho Im not a pianist or anything, I'll be playing on the keyboard til I get the timing right. Same thing with the mpc, I'll be redoing a loop over and over to get my drums right so dont gotta quantanize. figure eventually will get good at it and it will come with ease.

Nothing wrong with quantize used correctly either....You can make an exceptionally tight beat quantized and then add the human element by simply playing a hi hat or other part without using quantize...
On thing is undeniable though - The MPC is first and formost a MIDI sequencer - not using the MIDI capabilities of the MPC is kinda like buying a guitar and cutting off 4 of the strings...
By Lampdog Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:09 pm
fader-pro wrote:Nothing wrong with quantize used correctly either....You can make an exceptionally tight beat quantized and then add the human element by simply playing a hi hat or other part without using quantize...On thing is undeniable though - The MPC is first and formost a MIDI sequencer - not using the MIDI capabilities of the MPC is kinda like buying a guitar and cutting off 4 of the strings...

Production quoteable I'd say.

By dkapbeatz Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:20 pm
Im just curious why you guys are saying midi has helped you out so much. i jus recently started getting into midi and its cool and all but you guys praise it like crazy...please explain how exeactly it has helped you out

Re:

By Lampdog Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:32 pm
dkapbeatz wrote:Im just curious why you guys are saying midi has helped you out so much. i jus recently started getting into midi and its cool and all but you guys praise it like crazy...please explain how exeactly it has helped you out

So now, years later, you ready to praise MIDI yet?