Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By tk421 Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 pm
I just picked up a used MPC 1000. The CF card reader has a bent pin but it included a HDD. I copied over the latest Akai OS and free JJ OS to the HDD and I'm trying to install the Akai OS by booting the MPC and holding down the WINDOW button. When I boot, it does not recognize the HDD and says there's no CF card installed. I cannot load either OS from the hard drive after the MPC has booted since the OS installed is Akai Version 1.03 from 2004. With this OS, I can't even check the velocity settings on the pads.

Anyone have an idea as to how to update my OS without the use of the CF card slot? Apologies in advance if this has been talked about already; I've tried searching on the board but nothing came up. If it has, please point me in the right direction and I'll go from there. Thanks!
By Bugfix Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:22 am
Never been in this situation, but does your 1.03 see the drive in load mode? I mean have you copied those OS' thru USB on your MPC or thru some external drive enclousure?
I suppose for this OS only way is WINDOW button load as you do, but I don't know is it supposed to load also from HD.. You know that to do this, there should be just one OS file in the root of drive (not in folder)?
By tk421 Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:51 pm
I formatted the HD via the option in the MPC load screen and then copied the files from my PC to my HD using the USB connection. There are no other files or folders on the HDD except the two .bin files for the Akai OS and the latest JJ OS. Version 1.03 sees both OS in the load screen. I click on DO IT and nothing happens. In later versions of the Akai OS, I would be able to click on the JJ OS .bin file and it would clear the flash memory and load it...it won't do it on this one.

I rather not purchase another CF card slot if I don't have to. I'm hoping that with the years of MPC experience of the folks on this board, there's been a workaround for this issue.
By tk421 Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 pm
The bent pin inside looks like a Slinky. If it was bent at an angle, I could bust out some tweezers, but it's long past a quick fix at this point.

What's the earliest JJ OS that can be installed from Akai OS version 1.03? Can it be done through the HDD instead of the CF card?

The only other option i have is to remove the CF card slot, swipe it with a friend's CF card slot, install the latest Akai OS and then the latest free JJ OS and then replace the good CF card slot with the bad one. That's a lot of work and I don't mind opening up electronics, but I rather not go down that route unless I really have to.
By tk421 Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 pm
Due to the level of soldering that's required to replace the CF card pins on the actual CF card board, I don't think it's viable option. I'm good at soldering, but there's way too many fine soldering spots where the pin connections meet the PCB. There might be a few guys on here that would be able to do it, but in my world that's some R2-D2 level ish.
By dexnefex Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:20 pm
I've replaced them and it's not easy, you need to have fine pitch surface mount component training, a good adjustable soldering iron, and a magnifier to see what you're doing.

If you take the board out, go get a Wurth 693120015011 (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/3124607) and take the board and connector to a laptop / computer repair shop, they should be able to get you going for around $40.
If they give you static about the price just tell them that any shop in the country would do the work for $40, they'll give in.