Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By loganwexler Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:00 pm
someone is selling an mpc for 400 bucks, black version, no pad upgrade, at least one pad has to get hit really hard in order to work. they advertised it as 16mb ram installed, but it said 128 installed when i turned it on. if a pad upgrade is 175 on mpc stuff, provided i install it right, is 400 a good deal? has a card reader, no HD i dont think.

my other option would be to get one off of custommpcs, i have one mapped out, a refurbished one, comes to like 770 though. Is it worth 200 extra bucks to have bought it from a company that refurbishes them?
By medearis Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm
I spent $275 on my blue 1K. I'm pretty sure that is on the low-low end of the spectrum - no upgrades or anything. It was also hardly used and the pads weren't upgraded.

Fast forward to today - Upgraded RAM, some new TACTs, white LCD and some wood cheeks. I still think it is a great deal, even after the money spent.

My pads are fudged but I keep playing on them. When I start doing more live-bangin' I'll upgrade, but in the studio I'm totally comfortable going Pai Mei on the pads.

So - if I was in your position - I'd be finding out if that particular MPC was an original black 1K (with the poor pads of the blue 1K) or if it is one that was re-released with the better pads.

If they are the lesser, I would talk him down. You can find those RAM sticks for <$5 at thift shops so don't let him defend his price using that tactic. :roll:
By loganwexler Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:45 pm
I also found one on CL for 350. it's a blue one. But if I'm going to be upgrading the pads, the os, and everything anyways, why not get the cheaper one. does the Black version have any advantages to the blue one?
By loganwexler Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49 pm
Ok, I got the MPC. Only the first two pads are messed up, they work, just have to hit them harder.

I'm also having trouble figuring out if both of the sliders work. I have JJOS1 version 4.99 I think. I am able to make slider two affect the real time input pitch correction, but not slider one. What are somethings I can try with the slider to make sure that that is what's wrong. Are the sliders that useful? I have a 30 day warrantee and if something is broken, my local shop will fix it.

Thanks for all you guy's help.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:25 pm
You're probably going to need the pad upgrade, so that's $175 + shipping, no other option. A new slider is $16 and you need to solder yourself otherwise you're paying an hourly rate to a repair place.

Personally I'd send it back and get a refund, you can still pick up near mint MPC1000s completely maxed out with new pad sensors, fat pads, JJOSXL, full memory etc. Just got to keep an eye on ebay and craiglist. Or just pay the premium and get one from custommpc.com with warranty.

here's one with new pad sensors and maxed memory for $500, but also accepting offers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-1000-FULLY- ... 20e9d902ed

Why waste your time with broken MPCs when you can get a fully working one in great condition for less money and hassle?
By loganwexler Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:25 pm
I went with this one because I was able to try it before I bought it. I still have 10 days to see if I want to keep it. If they fix the slider for free for me, and I get and install the pad upgrade, thats a 128mb, mpc1000 black, upgraded pads, jjos1 for 575 (plus shipping on the pads), without having to worry about ebay being shady, shipping being crappy, or waiting. Maybe I'm being unwise. Seems like an OK deal to me, but you guys seem to have a lot of experience finding MPCs and getting them.

Also, that 500 dollar red/blue one doesn't say if it has JJ or not so I'm not sure if that's a better deal.

What is a function that uses the slider that I can use to test the slider? I tried using the sliders for real time pitch correction, and only one of them works. How do I use sliders for trimming? I have always used jog wheel for trimming.

Does anyone have experience with the custommpc's warranty? I think I can spend 5 days on MPC and decide if I want a nice one with a warranty. It would be 200 dollars more, and I wouldnt need to install the pads myself and I would have a warranty, and I will be able to rest easy knowing it has been "gone over" by "someone"