Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By garethsmyth Mon May 25, 2015 1:45 pm
Im using an mpc1000 with jjos free. I created a folder on my mpc while it was connected to my laptop. this is where i was planning to save all my beats.

today i saved "entire memory" (which is what i do every time, is this right?) after i got a loop i liked going because i wanted to move on to something i had been working on the day before. When i went to load the older beat, it seemed to be gone. When i hit load, i can see all the correct samples loading up, but nothing changes in the "main" screen and when im in track mute, its looks like beat i had made today is still there but only one of the samples is sounding out. that particular sample happens to be in both beats. This same thing happened when i tried to load up another project. Its as though the machine thinks thats the only beat on there.

When i go to load up an older track thats not in that folder, everything is working as it should. different samples, different programming. no problems.

I can see the PJ file is still there and the IPT file too but something is missing that is stopping the mpc from loading my work up.

Does anyone know for starters whether its possible to retrieve my work? Or have any tips on what im doing wrong?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
By MPC-Tutor Mon May 25, 2015 2:03 pm
It sounds like you have been saving all your beats to the same folder - bad idea as the 'all sequences.all' file will get overwritten each time you save a different beat. The samples and programs will all be there from all your beats (assuming you give your programs and samples different names), but only the last beat's sequences will remain.

So each beat needs its own folder. Once inside that folder, save entire memory. Unfortunately all your older sequences are lost.

Check out my MPC1000 tutorial book for all you need to know about making beats on the MPC1000:

http://www.mpc-samples.com/product.php/ ... e-mpc1000/
By garethsmyth Mon May 25, 2015 2:10 pm
Thanks so much for the quick response. Annoying that thats the case but thats definitely what iv done wrong.

When i go into the folder, it gives me the option to load "all_seq&sons" is it possible that the sequence from the track im looking for are in there?
By MPC-Tutor Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 pm
When you save a project, the all_seq file is automatically created, this contains all your sequences. By default (i.e. 'Save entire memory') this file is called 'ALL_SEQS&SONGS' and is saved automatically along with the PRJ, the programs and the samples. So when you saved a second project to the same folder, a new ALL_SEQS&SONGSA file was created and overwrote your original ALL file. This is why your original sequences are now lost.

Workaround: Before saving the project (Entire Memory) select 'Save: ALL SEQUENCES', DO IT and you'll be given the option to rename the all sequences file. Give it a unique name. Save it and then save your project and you'll see that the ALL file that saves with the project retains the unique name.

However that is a pain to remember (I'm not sure why it doesn't just automatically give the all sequences file a name to match your project) - the easiest workaround is to just use a different folder for each beat, that way it doesn't matter what the all sequences file is called.