Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By astral_Signal Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:33 am
So I've just been doing some calibration between my MPC, audio interface, and my Dorrough meter system.
I generated a 1Khz test tone at -20 dBFS from within my DAW (Pro Tools 12), sent this out from the interface stereo outputs into the MPC stereo inputs, then the MPC stereo outputs were patched back into the interface available inputs.
A basic metering plugin was inserted over each channel/s (test tone, interface outputs, MPC inputs).

This is what I have discovered:

1 - To match the same output to input level on the MPC to interface I needed to drop the MPC master level (mode + other) to -12dB. Even with this setting it looks like the MPC is outputting +2 dB higher than the original test tone signal (-20 dBFS). This is something worth calibrating yourselves, as I will often use the individual MPC outputs to record into Pro Tools and I always need to back off on individual program outputs.

2. The MPC record input on channel right is -1 dB lower than the left channel. This is pretty concerning to me. I have switched out cables and every time it shows this minor dip on the right input. I actually always though it was an issue with my turntable cartridge, as there has always been a lower output on the right channel.
I'm not sure if this is a flaw on the MPC itself or something from my end. I utilise a patchbay for all routing, and some inputs and outputs have been configured as half-normalled.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this information for anyone interested. Calibrating your gain staging across hardware ins and outs is important. If anyone else has noticed that issue with the right record input channel, or any other hardware related issues let me know.
By nrec5 Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:58 pm
Same here with the inputs, but even worse: right channel has about 30% less level. Any solution yet? Maybe the input jack needs to be switched.