Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By okibi Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 pm
So I scored an upgraded MPC 1000 off eBay at a good price. It's definitely seen better days, so I've decided to give it a full restoration and document the happenings here.

From the seller it comes with:

Pad sensor upgrade (a must)
Black pads with corx
RAM upgrade (not sure if he maxed it out or not)
SSD kit with CF adapter
Miscellaneous CF cards
JJOS free

Current issues:

'Wiring issue' (as the seller described it)
Damaged and loose side panels
Missing and damaged buttons

Here's the shitty eBay picture the seller provided:

Alright, next step is a hefty MPC Stuff order, including:

Right side PCB with all new tact switches and encoders
Black full set of replacement buttons
Wood side panels
Black record gain and volume knobs
Black jog wheel
Black memory card slot

All black and woodgrain is just my speed. Currently, everything is in transit. Expect a picture heavy thread, as I go through the restoration. Just waiting on the couriers now.

Questions:

How large a harddrive can the MPC 1000 accept? I may just go the internal CF route and pop in a 32GB or 64GB card.

What are the dimensions of the q-link slider cap shafts (width and recess depth)? I want to source some taller, black caps.
Last edited by okibi on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By dtaa pla muk Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:13 am
nice. you sound excited. don't forget to add jjos2xl or jjos128xl + the large screen from MPC stuff to your purchase list - either OS is an absolute must for the 1k.

How large a harddrive can the MPC 1000 accept? I may just go the internal CF route and pop in a 32GB or 64GB card.

don't focus too hard on hd size. i've had a 40 gig drive in there since 2005 or 2006 and i've filled 8gb of it. consider going solid state as per the sticky in this forum, especially if you're gonna be mobile...far less chance of a failed drive.

lastly, qlink sliders - they are actually easier to use with no caps at all. just my opinion.
By okibi Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 am
Definitely excited to crack this thing open. JJ OS2XL will be the next upgrade after the hardware is taken care of.

Thanks for the tips on the HD and sliders, Nym.
By okibi Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
So, the unit arrived today from the other coast. It's definitely seen better days. The side panel clips are wrecked and what buttons are there seem to turn on other buttons.

I also get crackle when I turn the volume knob -- guessing it's a beat encoder. And the data wheel is hooped too, setting 1 skips ahead and setting 2 requires several clicks.

I think the ribbon cables may be wrecked, as well as the right-side PCB. Hoping the other PCBs aren't damaged too. Will crack it open later today and survey the damage.

Had 10 minutes to play with it before I had to dip. So, I updated the free JJOS to 3.15 (was running 3.12).

Anyways, here's a couple flicks as she is right now. Just waiting on an MPC Stuff order:

At least the RAM is maxed and there's a new-in-box SSD kit (still need to buy a drive).
By okibi Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 am
Here's a video of the recurring button issue.

I inspected the PCB for cracks and didn't find anything noticeable. All the visible wiring looks fine too.

There was a lot of grime and dust in the unit though. I did my best to clean it up. The REC button was caked in black grime.

After a good cleaning and double checking all the connections, the button issue persists. It's gotta be a short somewhere.

Thoughts? Where's the next place to look? Could any of the other PCB boards be causing this issue? Or a certain wire?

At least the pad sensors are all good -- just wish the banks weren't jumping all over.

By okibi Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 am
BREAKTHROUGH! Opened up the bottom today, no visible PCB cracks on the mainboard. I unplugged and replugged everything and the issue is (at the moment) gone!

My guess is the culprit is this cable:

Anyone know where it runs to? I could dig a bit deeper.

It doesn't appear to be damaged, but I think the wires may not be seated in the connector properly. Will have to figure out how to do that.

Here's a shot of the guts for anyone looking for a reference picture:

By okibi Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 pm
My MPC Stuff order finally arrived today. Time to wrap up the majority of this restoration.

In the package was a right side PCB with new tact switches and encoders, wood side panels, and blackout buttons and knobs.

In goes the new PCB. Think I'm all good, turn on the unit -- and the 'wiring issue' is back! Time to squash this for good.

Testing each cable and wire on both sides of the unit, I finally find the culprit. If your MPC 1000 ever gives you sporadic button issues like mine, it's the bottom ribbon cable on the mainboard!

Reseating the cable took care of the issue for now. I'll have to find a replacement at some point. But the restoration is more-or-less complete. It's like a brand new (upgraded) MPC 1000.

By forknspoon Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:42 pm
thats an ill looking 1000.. im just across the sea from you in nanaimo, good to sea westcoast canada on here
By okibi Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 pm
SEANSTATIC wrote:thats an ill looking 1000.. im just across the sea from you in nanaimo, good to sea westcoast canada on here

Cheers, man! I grew up in Victoria. Been through Nanaimo many times.
By tengubeats Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm
Thanks for this. my buttons and pad banks started jumping around. gonna crack it open tonight and see if thst ribbon is loose on mine. your mpc looks clean tho.
-tengu