Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By dexnefex Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm
Hi All!
I didn't see this anywhere else, so I thought I would share. Forgive me if someone else has already posted this.

I’m a new MPC owner, have been a software guy all my life but thankfully a friend talked me into my first MPC a few weeks ago, I will never turn back.

The Compact Flash card slot seems prone to failure at some point, and I recently bought a unit that had already met its demise.
I was blown away to see the PCB was $125 pretty much anywhere.

Luckily I work in electronics manufacturing and was able to easily track the part down.
It is $6.

Be warned, this is not a repair for the greenhorn, you need some fine-pitch surface mount component soldering experience, and possibly even a microscope, but it is worth it if you want to save yourself $100.

The part you need is a Wurth 693120015011. This does not come with the ejector so if you replace yours, you need to make sure you save this metal ejector cover.

After it’s all said and done, you’ve just repaired a $125 board for less than $10.
There is also a reverse variation of the connector – 693120025011 the difference being that you would install the card upside down.

I hope this helps someone out. Like I said, I am a new MPC owner and I plan on sharing anything I learn that may not be easily available.
As a side note, if you need to have yours fixed and don’t want to attempt the replacement, feel free to contact me, I can help.
By dexnefex Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm
No prob, I can't confirm this is the exact slot that Akai uses, but it looks identical and matched the PCB layout exactly, and the ejector cover fits onto it perfectly ... if it walks like a duck...
By SimonInAustralia Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm
As you say, as long as it fits the same, and works, it doesn't matter if it is the same part as the original or not.

Most users are not going to be able to do this themselves, without some soldering skills and decent equipment, and preferably SMT soldering experience, but it is good info for those who do, or have access to someone who does.

Did you happen to take any photos of the process?
By dexnefex Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:06 pm
I did not unfortunately... I can tell you the easiest way to do it is to remove the two screws and simply clip off all of the pins from the connector, then each pin and the two stability tabs can be de-soldered individually. The you can apply some flux and clean the site of each pad with a solder wick.
Install the new connector and secure with the two screws so that it is held in place, which is a huge convenience.

Then you can use a "sweep" method on the pins, where you flux all the pins and apply the solder generously, and then go back and "sweep from pin 1 all the way to pin 50. The surface tension of the solder will naturally adhere to the pins and reduce the possibility of bridging between two or more of the pins.

Then solder the stability tabs.

You must inspect the pins very carefully for bridges, this is best done under magnification.
By Narmur Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:35 am
I need to replace my ejector rod for the card reader but I can't find the part anywhere. They had them at MPCSTUFF.COM but they sold out. Do you have any info that will help me out?
By horisonten Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am
I just managed to change a broken compact flash adapter on my MPC 1000! I have never done SMD soldering before. But watched a lot of videos on Youtube and used the right equipment and did it! Bought the 1000 for 200 euros and knew that the CF reader and tact switches needed replacement. Now it is like new! And it already had the pad upgrade. So happy :mrgreen: