Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Jacksoncroy Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:33 am
I got a new Microkorg XL+ the other day and I am trying to figure out how to have it send midi on multiple channels at the same time.

for example:
i want to have the bass sound be played and controlled by channel 1 and then maybe a lead or Electric Piano controlled by channel 2, both playing at the same time thru the 1k's sequencer. please help, this is a tough problem.
By SimonInAustralia Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:39 am
It is 2 part multi-timbral, so can play 2 different sounds at one time. Though not really multi-timbral as you would normally find, you can't set a different synth program to each MIDI channel, like you can in more complex multi-timbral synths.

Each synth Program has 2 timbres within it, you can set it to 'Multi' Voice Mode, assign Timbre 2 to a different MIDI channel to Timbre 1, and then play Timbre 1 on the base MIDI channel, and Timbre 2 from the Timbre 2 MIDI channel.

So...
- set the COMMON/VOICE.MODE setting to MULTI
- set the COMMON/T2.MIDICH setting to the MIDI channel that you want to play Timbre 2 from
- set the MIDI/MIDI CH setting to the different MIDI channel that you want to play Timbre 1 from

You might also have to setup a new program that has a bass sound set to Timbre 1, and an electric piano sound set to Timbre 2.

After doing the above to setup the microKORG, you set an MPC sequencer track to send on the MIDI channel for Timbre 1, and another MPC sequencer track to send on the MIDI channel for Timbre 2.
By thuggyBear Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:55 am
Have you figured out a way to do this? I'm trying to do much the same things, but with a DSI Tetra, which can be run as four two-oscillator synths (Mophos, more or less).

What I'd like it two four-oscillator synths.

The Tetra isn't very flexible re:MIDI routing. Using it in multi mode means that you pick the lowest MIDI number, and it increments up from there- i.e. CH1 is Voice1, CH2 is V2, etc etc. So I can't fix it in the box.

I have used a MIDI Solutions box to convert incoming MIDI messages: so CH1 is changed to CH1+2, and CH2 is converted to CH3+4. This has been a little temperamental, though, and I'm not sure why. User error is a good bet, but I have little motivation to learn a programming language for one application.

Seems to me that there should be an easy way of doing this.