Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By woodfoot Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 pm
Hi I’m new here.
I’ve just got my mpc 1000 and I’m planning to use it to play my music out live. I’m getting bored of djing and I want to perform my music more so the MPC seems like the best way to do it.

The way I’ve currently got it set up is just creating programs [using mpc maid]
I’ve chopped up my music at the points of the kicks, snares and other accents and I’ve put it across the pads so i can play it live as people would know it on the record but also remix it on the fly or move between variations. I’m playing it all live and I’ve not sequenced anything. Nor was I planning to.

At the moment it’s working fine and I’m really enjoying it but I’ve hit a brick wall. In order to play it in the way I am doing, I needed to set the polyphony of the program to mono so that when i play one pad it cuts off the last one.
However in some of my tunes I have things like long sweeps or delayed sounds which span over 4-8 bars. I’d like to be able to just hit the pad for these samples once and let it play so it carries on while I continue to play the other pads.
Obviously this doesn’t work when it’s set to mono as the longer sound is cut of as soon as I hit another pad. There will also be times when I want to play extra hi hats or sounds over what I’m already playing but this also wouldn’t be possible with the polyphony set to mono.

I tried setting the program to poly and setting the individual pads voice overlap settings so the ones i want to cut off would be on mono and the longer ones would be on poly. That to me seemed to be the way round it but it’s not working.

Is there a certain way to do what I’m doing or is it just not possible?

I should mention that I'm using the akai OS but I'd be happy to change [and buy] to the JJOS if thats what would be needed

As I said, I’m new here so sorry if this has been covered before but a search turned up nothing

Thanks in advance
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:12 pm
Set the sounds that need to cut off each other to the same mute group (e.g. 1) and leave the sweeps mute group off or if they need to cut out each other, set them to a different mute group to the other sounds, e.g. 2. You can leave the program to POLY.

Mute groups are set in Program > Params