Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Disastrous Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:34 pm
Hey Guys,

Having a real problem with my MPC. I bought it relatively recently and I've noticed that lately it's got a habit of resetting itself when loading samples and so on.

After a bit of troubleshooting and a LOT of Googling, I think I've narrowed down the cause to when it's accessing the internal HD.

Every time it reads the drive, you can detect a slight flicker in the screen and it seems that when it's been on a while, loading something big can cause one flicker too many which reboots the unit.

My question though is this:

1) Is this a sign of a failing hard drive?
or
2) Is this the sign of a failing power supply (power caps or somesuch)?

I guess what's happening is the drive is spinning up, causing something BAD to happen powerwise and the unit shuts down. But I'm not techy enough to workout which end is causing the problem.

In other bad news, I just connected to my computer to backup my HD, just in case, and this sent it into a terminal reboot loop that needed switching off and on again to fix :(

I know something is goosed but any thoughts on whether it's drive or supply would be a big help...
By Disastrous Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:24 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:After removing the drive, does your MPC function normally? Are you able to load/save with a CF card?

Yes, it's ok without the drive and just the CF card.

It's also *sometimes* fine with the HD, which makes me think it's a power issue.

There is a slight flicker on the screen every time the drive ticks over and it seems as though when asked to really spin up and access a lot of data, this is what trips it.

I'd say my best guess is that the drive is drawing too much power, hence forcing the unit to reboot. Whether this would be caused by the power harness at the drive end, or the MPC end, I'm not so sure but I guess a new drive is £20 or so but a new power supply considerably more...!
By Disastrous Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 am
I've resolved it!

It was really pissing me off so for anyone else suffering the same grief, here's what worked for me:

1). Took it apart and searched the PCB for dry joints etc
2). Reseated all connections just in case
3). Found nothing obvious
4). Put it back together
5). Bench tested it with a function that used the drive
6). It failed again

So I did the next logical thing: swept the **** off my table, stamped on it and smashed it beyond all recognition. Then bought another in better condition which seems to be working ok. Let's hope it lasts.

Hoe that helps anyone struggling with the same issue and not finding the answers online!

:lol:
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:14 pm
Disastrous wrote:So I did the next logical thing: swept the **** off my table, stamped on it and smashed it beyond all recognition. Then bought another in better condition which seems to be working ok. Let's hope it lasts.

:lol: More like the most unlogical thing :Sigh: , you should of sold it for spare and repairs on ebay or on here.
By Disastrous Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 am
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:
Disastrous wrote:So I did the next logical thing: swept the **** off my table, stamped on it and smashed it beyond all recognition. Then bought another in better condition which seems to be working ok. Let's hope it lasts.

:lol: More like the most unlogical thing :Sigh: , you should of sold it for spare and repairs on ebay or on here.

Not nearly as satisfying.