Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Trapezoidoid Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 am
Hey guys! I've been having a somewhat mysterious problem with melodic sequencing on my MPC 1000 running JJOS1 version 5. I've looked everywhere and have only found one unresolved reference to the same issue. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Here is a simple diagram of my MIDI chain:

Keystep --> MPC --> Electribe 2 and/or Soulsby Atmegatron (synth module)

Pretty simple chain. So here's what happens:

1. I record a sequence to the MPC using the keystep which triggers the external synth as it should.
2. Once the recording is finished I hit the record button to disable recording.
3. The sequence plays for a little while without issue.
4. Eventually the MPC spits out a "Note On" message to F#0 (I think) on the external synth.
5. I press stop once. The sequence stops but this unwanted note doesn't get the memo and keeps playing.
6. The note continues on forever until I hit stop 3 times fast.

As far as I can tell this issue only happens when 4 notes or more are played on the external synth's track. I've messed around with the midi settings quite a bit and haven't been able to pinpoint the origin of the issue. If I had to guess I'd say it's a software problem but I updated the OS from 4.98 to 5.0 and it still does it. Could it be a hardware issue? I'm quite new to the MPC world and might be unaware of some obscure setting I've neglected but as far as I can tell there isn't a setting that says "don't send out an awful endless drone." Any advice?
By Disastrous Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am
I had this problem with my setup quite recently but couldn't find anything on here that solved it. I was also getting bizarre 'ghost' notes being triggered on synths on the adjacent MIDI channel to ones I'd just recorded stuff into, despite them being blank. Very weird!

The eventual answer for me was removing a MIDI Thru box I had from my chain and splitting my MIDI devices across both outs on the MPC.

Not ideal by any stretch and I'm not sure what you could do with your setup...maybe juggle MIDI ports around and see if that helps?

Please post on here though as it would be interesting if this was something unique to the MPC. The lack of info made me think it was just my setup.
By Trapezoidoid Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:46 pm
Disastrous wrote:I had this problem with my setup quite recently but couldn't find anything on here that solved it. I was also getting bizarre 'ghost' notes being triggered on synths on the adjacent MIDI channel to ones I'd just recorded stuff into, despite them being blank. Very weird!

The eventual answer for me was removing a MIDI Thru box I had from my chain and splitting my MIDI devices across both outs on the MPC.

Not ideal by any stretch and I'm not sure what you could do with your setup...maybe juggle MIDI ports around and see if that helps?

Please post on here though as it would be interesting if this was something unique to the MPC. The lack of info made me think it was just my setup.

I've been having the ghost note issue too! It kept playing a sequence I made forever ago and never even saved despite the fact that the sequence was blank! And I did end up trying to take the midi thru out of the equation but all of this still happened when it was connected directly to the synth. With both midi outs. I'm considering installing a new midi port PCB but not before I revert back to akai OS and see if the issue still shows up. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the response.
By LulaNord Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:07 pm
Hi....i think removing a MIDI Thru box I had from my chain and splitting my MIDI devices across both outs on the MPC.
By Disastrous Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:06 pm
LulaNord wrote:Hi....i think removing a MIDI Thru box I had from my chain and splitting my MIDI devices across both outs on the MPC.

Snap! Wonder what causes it...