Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By vationstation Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 am
I recently replaced most of the tact switches on my MPC 1000, at first every button worked but now buttons F3 F4 and the Main button do not work. When I press the F3 and F4 button together the lights for pad bank A and D or B and C light up. Does anybody have any idea what could be behind this?

If you could kindly take a look here are some pictures of the pcb http://imgur.com/a/cp8zS
By ngyagi Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 am
Recently did the same with mine, but without the issues. Looking at the PCB, there is a LOT of solder on some of those joints. It's possible you've got a short somewhere. The fact that it came in after a while might mean a joint has worked loose somewhere, or some solder has wiggled somewhere it shouldn't have. I'd suggest desoldering, cleaning up and resoldering very carefully. Beat of luck!
By vationstation Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm
ngyagi wrote:Recently did the same with mine, but without the issues. Looking at the PCB, there is a LOT of solder on some of those joints. It's possible you've got a short somewhere. The fact that it came in after a while might mean a joint has worked loose somewhere, or some solder has wiggled somewhere it shouldn't have. I'd suggest desoldering, cleaning up and resoldering very carefully. Beat of luck!

Thanks, I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
By ngyagi Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm
There are some sweet soldering tips on youtube. But I'd say the most important thing would be practicing on another PCB. Grab something that's already broken and work on soldering and desoldering until you're confident to drop just enough lead to make a connection. A fine tip soldering iron is the only way to go with PCB work, temperature control if you can too...
By WASKMUSIC Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am
you can clearly see that you have bridge some contacts. so yeah, indeed you have shorts. if you are lucky you haven't damaged the mpc... man, what the hell is going on in your heads??? if you can't solder, if you don't know how to do stuff like this, why you even try it? damn, your solder job looks ridicolous. sorry, no kind words here, it's a mess. really.
By ngyagi Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 pm
WASKMUSIC wrote:you can clearly see that you have bridge some contacts. so yeah, indeed you have shorts. if you are lucky you haven't damaged the mpc... man, what the hell is going on in your heads??? if you can't solder, if you don't know how to do stuff like this, why you even try it? damn, your solder job looks ridicolous. sorry, no kind words here, it's a mess. really.

Chill, sounds like you have a tact repair problem too. I'd rather live in a world where people try and fix things and fail a couple times than never try at all. :wink:
By richie Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 am
Just because wask is german doesn't mean he has a tact switch problem.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 pm
ngyagi wrote:Chill, sounds like you have a tact repair problem too. I'd rather live in a world where people try and fix things and fail a couple times than never try at all. :wink:

Not at all, WaskMusic is just giving you some sound advice :wink:
By WASKMUSIC Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:10 pm
try and fail is one thing, try and damage something is another thing. if you inspect your solder job you should have been able to see how worse it is in comparison to the original solder joints. so id would have been smart enough NOT TO POWER UP your mpc. if you have not controlled your soldering job thats badass.

i know i know, some people have problems with others telling the truth, but it's as sample as it can get.

if you can't solder, let somebody else do the soldering.

if you are smart enought: remove all the solder from these bad joints, put some new tacts in there and let it be soldered by someone who can actually solder.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 pm
More sound advice for you ngyagi :wink:
By ngyagi Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 am
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:More sound advice for you ngyagi :wink:

If you read the thread, you may think differently. I still believe Vationstation has learned more from this experience than from saying "oh, I'll just get someone else to do it". I could have replaced my PCB for the price it would have cost a pro to do it. So instead I paid $40 for a soldering iron and learned to solder off youtube. If I had damaged my PCB I'd still have learned a valuable lesson and a useful skill. As it turns out, my solder job was fine, and I replaced my LED'S with some nice blue one's.

Go try stuff, break some things that are already broken or not too hard to replace. In the long term you'll be less wasteful and understand better the craft that goes into making things work.