Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By schmik80 Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 pm
Hi all,

I've been slowly making my way over to a hardware-only set-up, and I'm loving it the closer and closer I get. However, I ran into an issue I can't seem to solve by researching (in fact, the more research I do, the more questions I have).

I have a MPC 1000 and a sound module (Proteus 1XR in this case). I have it set up so that my MIDI keyboard sends MIDI to the MPC, which then sends it to the Proteus. I have my headphones plugged into the output of the Proteus, so of course I only hear the output of the Proteus, and nothing from the MPC. Is it possible to route the audio output of the Proteus back into the MPC so I can hear it play back in real time along with all of my internal MPC sounds (drum kits, etc.)? Or do I absolutely have to get a mixer? Sorry, I feel like this is an extremely simple question, but I can't find an answer to it anywhere.

While the former scenario would be preferable in the short-run, I know I'm eventually going to want a mixer. So while I'm at it, can anyone recommend me a good, cheap, compact mixer (4 to 8 channels)? Space is at a premium in my current setup, so a 32 channel mixer isn't going to be a possibility. However, it feels like every review of every compact mixer mentions that it adds noise. Are there any gems out there that I'm missing?

For what it's worth, I'm currently working with some AKG headphones, but I plan to add some M-Audio AV40 monitors soon.

Thanks! :-D