Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By JBaum Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 pm
Hey, thank you for reading - I'm really stuck!

I've tried recording a sample from my condensor microphone onto the MPC, but the only thing reacting to the sound input is the mixer.

I have the microphone running into the first channel of the mixer. The MPC1000 runs from its record in & stereo out jacks to the mixer's chanels 2 and 3 through unbalanced TRS cables.

The stereo monitors are connected to the mixers ST Out. Phantom Power is switched on.

The levels on the Mixer are reacting to sound from the mic, but when I go to mode / RECORD in the MPC, the bars do not move at all. The only time I saw the MPC reacting was when I had the mic cable on the same channel as the MPCs record in was on the Mixer (so both the mic and MPC on channel 2).

BUT then the mixer showed no reaction to the sound. So I checked the manual and it says that 'Where an input channel provides both a MIC INPUT jack and a LINE INPUT jack, you may use either one of these jacks but you may not use both at the same time. Please connect to only one of these jacks on each channel.'

So how does one get both the MPC and the Mixer to pic up the microphone? Help please!
By Cockdiesel Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:19 am
You can set the mic out put to aux out and have the mpc taking the aux out of the mixer. With the mic channel set to aux you will only hear the mic when you have the mpc set to recording the inputs. You can toggle between the two with the aux out switch.
Didn’t look up your mixer but that’s how’d id prolly run them in your situation.
By JBaum Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:31 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:You can set the mic out put to aux out and have the mpc taking the aux out of the mixer. With the mic channel set to aux you will only hear the mic when you have the mpc set to recording the inputs. You can toggle between the two with the aux out switch.
Didn’t look up your mixer but that’s how’d id prolly run them in your situation.

Hey, I switched around where I had the record in from the MPC connecting to the mixer. Now I have it hooked up to the AUX SEND (AUX1 & AUX2). The MPC is still reacting to the sound. BUT no reaction on the mixer levels or monitors. I have the stereo out from the MPC running into the RETURN on the Mixer, so in my mind it seems like this signal flow show be complete.

The back of the mixer looks like this now:

Mixer I External Device

AUX SEND -->MPC Record In
Return L, R Jacks --->Stereo Out MPC
Channel 2 MIC Input --> External condensor Mic
ST OUT --> Studio Monitors
Phantom Power Switched On.

Anything running to the MPC (so the Aux Send and the RETURN) are via these cables: https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfu_6_pp.htm

The only machine reacting to the MIC right now is the MPC. Actually even more so now with the AUX sends because I can control the levels of the mic in the MPC via the aux knob on channel 2. But the levels on the mixer do not react and I certainly am not hearing any sound through the monitors. This is a problem because then I'm just screaming into a microphone with no idea what it sounds like on the monitors.

Advice still needed!
By JBaum Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm
Quick Update: the levels on the Yamaha Mixer are now showing signs of life (same signal flow as described above, so perhaps this mixer just takes a really long time to register when I've moved the cables?! weird). So now it feels like I'm one step away... I just need to get whatever the mixer levels are reacting to (dear god I hope its the mic) out through the studio monitors (which are hooked up to the ST OUT on the mixer already). Do I have an obvious button turned off?
By Cockdiesel Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm
Is the mic channel set to send out to aux?
What level is your stereo return?
Why not just put the output of the mpc back into the channel strips?
Is your aux send set to Pre or post fader.
I don’t have your mixer but the process is no different than sending your mic channel to an effects loop.