Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By fuzzpistol Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 pm
it looks like there never was a component there

I trust your evaluation.

Could you tell me if it's plausible that the CPU would still detect "( 128MB installed )" if the memory expansion slot were faulty or broken somehow?

There's a guy in my neighborhood who's selling a well-worn MPC1000 (blue case) for half the price of a brand new Main CPU Assembly PCB. Would I be inviting disaster if I transplanted an old CPU PCB into my MPC (if it should come to that)??
By SimonInAustralia Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 pm
Might be cheaper/easier to pickup a low priced, non-Akai, MPC1000 compatible memory module from eBay, to test if the memory module itself is the problem, before buying another MPC just for the mainboard and swapping it out.

Anything is possible with faulty RAM, or a damaged RAM slot/connector on the mainboard.
By fuzzpistol Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm
Shout-out to SimonInAustralia for pointing me in the right direction.

I finally got around to buying a new RAM, and ...
my problem is solved! I am now a happy camper/sampler.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by saying this, but if you're in the market for
inexpensive RAM - the best deal I found was over at OEMPCWorld.com ($14.85 & free shipping in the USA).
By madelefant Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 pm
Just bought at Walgreens 4GB Sandisk 200x for 13 bucks. I know you get get 8 gig for that price online but Sandisk was one of the ones a lot of people had good luck with and it works well. So if you need 4GB check out Walgreens.
By atasco Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm
maximum robot wrote:
Nubian Mindz wrote:
Tapuno wrote:No. Not unless you have a compact flash adapter. That is a SD card. You need a compact flash card.

My bad.

So this is cool.

I have the same transcend 8GB CF card and it is behaving weird.
It usually freezes during load so i need remove cf card to load rest of the project.
Also it can't be accessed via USB.
Formatted it inside MPC but still the problems remain.
My other two CF cards works just fine.

Avoid this card like the plague. Experiencing exactly the same problems
By Nomadikh Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:21 pm
Believe it or not, using the wrong RAM chip can actually make a difference sonically. My MPC came with a 256MB IBM chip and it made my samples sound grainy and sort of irritating on the ear. I recently replaced it with a Kingston 256 RAM chip and it solved the problem!

I'm also using a SanDisk Ultra 16B CF card at 30MB/s and it works well.

Kingston RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KVR133X6 ... B00006BT1J
By SimonInAustralia Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 am
Nomadikh wrote:Believe it or not, using the wrong RAM chip can actually make a difference sonically. My MPC came with a 256MB IBM chip and it made my samples sound grainy and sort of irritating on the ear. I recently replaced it with a Kingston 256 RAM chip and it solved the problem!

:hmmm: Not.
By DJ Popp Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 pm
Hello,
I recently installed the free JJ-OS and have been using it with the stock 16MB RAM memory on my MPC 2500.
A few days ago I ordered this 256MB PC133 144 pin SODIM 16x16 CL3 RAM on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C ... UTF8&psc=1
I unscrewed the door on the back and installed the RAM in the empty slot. When I turned it on, it read(s) MPC2500 (128MB installed), but the operating system is not starting up.
If I turn it off and turn it on again the same thing happens.
Does the JJ-OS need to be installed on the CF card so the operating system can boot after the RAM upgrade? Or is it possible the RAM is not compatible with the MPC?
By mr3rown Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:37 pm
Can you boot into the original akai OS? (I remember there was an button you had to hold down to make it boot that way)

If the original works, this should give you an indication on how to diagnose the problem.