Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By tsutek Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:55 pm
It seems there's some mystery surrounding the CF cards, some people reporting certain models of cards working and other people getting problems with the same cards?

Could it be that "modern" CF card extra features, such as autosleep & having some extra utility software inside etc causing these problems? For example I tried a current 64GB CF card made for professional photography use (600X), and it didn't work on my MPC2500 (the card stated having software etc inside + autosleep)..

133X would seem to be a pretty safe speed range at least..? Many people have reported these to work.

Also, perhaps initially formatting the CF card once with a PC/mac to FAT32 would help getting certain cards to working with the MPC?

Going to try Sandisk Ultra 2 series first as it seems to have the best rep in this thread, followed by basic Kingston models.. one of those has to work.

IMO it makes much more sense to get a big CF card than to install a HDD into an MPC - adds unnecessary weight, moving parts, heat and noise, and when your MPC breaks down, dumping your data into a new MPC is lot more hassly than compared to just changing the CF card into a new device.

Cheers (and BTW this thread should be split into two, hard to read through the RAM stuff when one only needs info about CF cards)
By roycerollz5950 Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 am
SteveO wrote:If you live in the UK the KOMPUTERBAY 256MB 133Mhz PC133 SDRAM SODIMM (144 Pin) Laptop RAM 16Mx16x16 (8 Chip Configuration) available on Amazon works perfectly and only cost £10 including postage!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y6SS5U

Seriously opens up the possibilities on your MPC too 8)

I bought this and installed it with no troubles at all (I build computers) but I get a frozen load screen when it says "mpc2500 (128mb installed)" I've tried everything. reinstalling akai os, installing jjos free, holding erase when turning on and off... did you have any issues with this ram? someone please help im heart broken and I just want to use my mpc :( I truely hate akai for giving us only 16mb ram... They are EVIL for giving you a feature that allows you to chop songs and you cant even load ONE!!! NOT ONE SONG!?!? They know damn **** well what they were doing when they made the mpc and I've sat around for 2 weeks not using it just to get my ram upgrade and discover that it isnt working? :Sigh:

:fku: **** akai man... :fku:

Id buy the exm ram but I am 100% against putting another dollar in their greedy pockets... That and I'm broke now that I bought an expensive piece of production equipment that cant function to even HALF of its full potential without unloading more dough on these ****....

sorry for my rant...

but does anyone have a solution that I havnt tried or an alternative?

I appreciate it.
By Metatron72 Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:08 am
These threads are numerous and generally long so I post this over and over...

CL3. Clock Latency rating 3. This is the key to getting 256MB PC133 SDRAM SODIMM 144 Pin RAM that will work every time.

In rare cases the RAM is not labelled CL3 and you get lucky and it is CL3, 9/10 though you don't.

It MUST be CL3, get sticks with that on the label it will always work, zero issues.

Clock latency makes little to no difference in PC's, I know 35+ year experienced computer techs that don't even know what Clock Latency ratings are, again they make like zero difference in most PC builds, but here it is the key.
By roycerollz5950 Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 am
i appreciate your response. I was taking a chance with the CL3 thing. I should have asked but I figured the same thing you did. I was like "well ****, its everything else hopefully its CL3..."... In hindsight it was a reckless choice... a $12 reckless choice lol but I'm going to go with plan b and go down to this goodwill by my house tomorrow. They have bins of computer parts seperated by part so I'm going to dig through it and grab like 10 144 pin sticks. hopefully one works lol. because it isnt the price of 12 i was pissed about. it was the wait time... 16mb sucks lol
By roycerollz5950 Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:11 pm
just please dont buy the komputerbay ram he recommended. no offense homie. I just dont want anyone making the same mistake I made.
By escapetheclouds Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:54 am
I just bought a Transcend 32GB 400X card for my MPC 1000 running JJ OS2XL. The MPC read and formatted it fine.

Unfortunately, I can't get my computer to recognize the 32GB card via USB while it's in my MPC's card slot, and I don't have an external card reader. My stock 32MB card is read just fine from the computer.

What I'm doing:
1) I connect the cable to the computer.
2) I turn on the MPC and go to the Load/Save screen, then USB tab.
3) I connect the cable to the MPC.
4) I hit "Mount".
5) It goes "Wait..." then "Accessing...."
6) Unfortunately, there is no 6! The MPC continues to say "Accessing....". Eventually--after a few minutes--a new Removable Drive will popup under My Computer.

With the 32MB card, I would click this and there would be my MPC files. However, when the 32GB card is in there, it just hangs. I can never see the contents of the card. All the time, the MPC continues to say "Accessing".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I did just order the HDM-10 and CF card->IDE adapter to turn the 32GB card into an SSD drive.
By ntalec Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm
roycerollz5950 wrote: and I just want to use my mpc :( I truely hate akai for giving us only 16mb ram... They are EVIL for giving you a feature that allows you to chop songs and you cant even load ONE!!! NOT ONE SONG!?!? They know damn **** well what they were doing when they made the

No way you can't get by with 16mb, you must have the auto load on wasting memory.
:WTF:
By punkydoodle Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 pm
hi, i opened in the JJOS subforum a thread with some question about CF cards.
...was not that fruitful till now. i was now directed to this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=168029&p=1594393#p1594393
its about speed, and longevity in regards to size.
The CF card thematic was not bespoken here in these regards
Please chim in if you are knowledgable about computers/CF cards........

i use mainly 4 GB, have also a Transcend 16GB/ 600x card sucessfully running ( loaded with more than 4GBs )
on the Elektron Octatrack for example where problems reported by elektron with Transcend 400x cards.

we are now just bevore the point where the small cards ( 4GB) become more expensive then large ones ( 8Gb)....soon 16GB will be cheapest size.
i think the CFcard thematic deserves some more words or thoughts
By Metatron72 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 pm
Transcend, Lexar, SanDisk Ultra and most of the Kingston ones are probably going to work.

These are the exact ones I use in 2GB and 4GB, working on MPC 1000/MPC2500 and a CF modded MPC2000XL at 1GB formatting on a 2GB SanDisk.