Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By _wheeljack_ Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm
happy to report a couple of working items. picked these up on amazon (i'm in canada), cheap, shipped quick, work like a charm on my 2500.

A-Tech components ram upgrade: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM ... _at_prodpg

SanDisk Ultra 8GB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHB ... UTF8&psc=1

Ram: easy peezy install, everything working, no slowdowns, freezing etc.

CF: Formatted in the MPC without issue, loads/saves quick. access to all 8GB (both w/ akai os & jjos)
By Accent Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:26 pm
Has anyone tried this card with their 1K?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB ... ge_o00_s00

I got it recently, but it seems to hang when I'm loading, to the point of being unusable. I'm using the free JJOS at the moment-do larger capacity cards work better in the more advanced OS? Or should I just return this card? I've got an 8 GB that is half as fast that works fine, but I'd really like to use a larger card.

BTW, first post, been slowing digging into the MPC and loving it. :-D
By Accent Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 pm
Just a follow up to my above post: I installed JJOS2XL last night, and the 32GB card I mentioned seemed to work much smoother. I would still hang occasionally if I tried to do too much too fast, but not nearly as badly as using the free JJOS (I could only manage to load about 3 samples or so before it would hang indefinitely). Totally useable tho.
By The Jackal Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:29 am
Woo woo for $20 I scored a new package of 25 CF cards off Craigslist the other day. They're Transcend 80x 2 gig and was happy to find out last night that they work for my MPC 2000 XL (but obviously only recognizes a gig of space)

Might have to go back and buy the rest off the guy lol.
By commercial Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 pm
Mpc 1000 black.
jjos free.
Mac for usb transfer

RECOMMENDED
Working great - 2gb Kingston elite pro hi speed cf, being recognised by MacBook, no problem when connected to mpc via usb.

NOT RECOMMENDED
Lots of problems with transcend 4gb 133x, crashes, freezes, not recognised by computer when connected to mpc via usb.
By tomek666 Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 am
Thx mgofmc, gonna try the 32GB variant on my 2500 and report back.

Tried a Lexar Professional 800X 8GB (UDMA 7), and no go.

Can save projects to it but they freeze randomly (format doesn't really work,
and can't access the card from PC).

Trying to see what the fastest cards we can use are.
Not sure what the MPC internal operation is,
but if I had my guess I'd say 33MB/s if it's using IDE to CF adapter.

Edit - here is a good read. Not really for 1000/2500 but things
can be learned from it, and perhaps on the safe side of compatible?

http://www.mpchunter.com/compact-flash- ... eshooting/

Wonder if the 1000/2500s prefer "fixed disk" operation..

Anyone using "UDMA" cards with any luck?

Edit2 - according to wiki

CF+ and CompactFlash Revision 3.0 (2004) added support for up to a 66 MByte/s data transfer rate (UDMA 66), 25 MByte/s in PC Card mode, added password protection, along with a number of other features. CFA recommends usage of the FAT32 filesystem for storage cards larger than 2 GB.

I'm guessing the 1000/2500 is using CF Rev 3.0 (maybe older).

Doing a quick benchmark, loading 78 drum sample adding up to 54MB:
-took 22 seconds to load off a 4GB 200x Lexar Platinum II.
-took 24 seconds to load off the internal 120GB HD (likely crappy)

One 53MB sample:
-took 26 seconds to load off the 4GB 200x Lexar Platinum II.
-took 31 seconds to load off the internal 120GB HD (likely crappy)

There is very little difference in load times between CF, and HD.
The bottleneck might be the MPCs IDE system. Rocking a big 2.4MB/s here!!

Will do the same test with that 50MB/s card once it comes in.
Hope it works (even if slowly haha)
By richie Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:35 am
You're almost guaranteed to have a fake one if you order it from China. The ones that work best for me are Sandisk Extreme and these Rocketfish 266x 1gb cards. I use these cards on all my machines listed in my sig.

I found the SP404 to be the least picky when taking cards though.
By tomek666 Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:35 am
So the new good news is the SanDisk Ultra 32GB Compact Flash Memory Card (50 MB/s) works.

The bad news is, there is almost no speed difference between it,

the 4GB 200x Lexar Platinum II, and the internal HD.

Moral of the story, the MPC has a shit IDE controller,

so don't matter what you put in there speed wise.

Expensive lesson :lol:
By oaklandzzzoo Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:21 pm
NVM. Same problem as this guy. Guess the ram dont work with the mpc despite the sellers title.

DJ Popp wrote:Hello,
I recently installed the free JJ-OS and have been using it with the stock 16MB RAM memory on my MPC 2500.
A few days ago I ordered this 256MB PC133 144 pin SODIM 16x16 CL3 RAM on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C ... UTF8&psc=1
I unscrewed the door on the back and installed the RAM in the empty slot. When I turned it on, it read(s) MPC2500 (128MB installed), but the operating system is not starting up.
If I turn it off and turn it on again the same thing happens.
Does the JJ-OS need to be installed on the CF card so the operating system can boot after the RAM upgrade? Or is it possible the RAM is not compatible with the MPC?