Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By Pastor-of-Muppets Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 am
nomind wrote:Hello, Im checking out harddrives and i want to get this one or the other, not sure the diff between oem and sata and if that makes a diff, but it gots 2.5 and doesnt say about the 44 pin so i dont know.....any help thanks, (id rather go with the 160 for $40 then 80 for $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-S ... =pd_cp_e_1 (im sure this will be fine but its the second one i want to get i think....)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-W ... 00_04_t_lh

OEM has nothing to do with the type of disk, it only refers to who made it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_e ... nufacturer

SATA will not work. you need an IDE disk. not SATA. Do not get the SATA disk. Not SATA. clear?
By jaydee Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 pm
Can anyone please help me..I just got a WD 400ue and when I start the MPC it stays stuck at "jjos1" I have tried using the akai OS and then it stays stuck at "128mb installed" I can not figure out the problem! any help is very appreciated!! Thank you!
By N'du Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 am
fulling my hard drive and one day without reason it could not work anymore...with all the sounds,sequences drum kits and samples on it...is somthing that really scare me...i prefer a 1gb cf card with 2 or 3 songs /card...
By MPCdawk Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 pm
emu1820 wrote:Transcend Solid-State Disk 32GB 44pin IDE

you guys think this SSD HD would run with mpc 2500 JJ os??

I tried an Innodisk FiD 2.5 IDE ATA6000 4Gb SSD in my MPC 2500, and it almost worked properly.
Every time I power up the MPC it starts with some sort of OS glitch that means I get no sound when playing a sequence or hitting pads in different programs, but the count in ticks play at the start of a sequence.
If I go into Trim mode I can hear the samples as normal.

I can format, save and load on the SSD but if I want to hear anything I have re-boot the MPC whilst holding down the "Erase" button, then it seems to work fine, although I haven't tested it extensively (I'm not going to keep using this drive).

From what I've found out the Innodisk does not support cable select and the MPC is set up to use that system (this is what enables it to control a CD/DVD drive and a hard drive on the single IDE bus). This possibly explains why a normal power on procedure causes the OS to glitch out as the MPC is trying to establish what the hard drive is - master or slave, during the power up process.

It's a shame because it was really really fast, but it seems like IDE SSDs came and went very quickly.

Some of the Transcend SSDs have the proper implementation of cable select, seems like it's the ones that have GSS in the model number. Eg: TSS16GSSD25-S
If my theory is right then the Transcend should work, but AFAIK there have been ATA5 and ATA6 versions of it.

***EDIT - Actually, cable select isn't an issue for the 1000 because it doesn't take a CD drive does it! :oops:
I should have tried the Innodisk drive with all the jumper pins removed thereby hard wiring it as a master to see if the 2500 was ok with it as I didn't have the CD drive fitted.
By peeping tom Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:10 am
darn i got two sat's a home from 2 dead externals, ones 140 gb the others 1000gb.

They are the small format ones. bu sata is **** yeh?
By dajaphonics Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:35 pm
I have JJOSXL2 and am considering installing a hard drive in my MPC1000.

Are there any problems with JJOSXL2 when installing a hard drive?
Is there a limit of how many GBs I can install? I have been browsing around but haven't found the answer to this question. I have seen many people going for 160GB. How much do you usually spend with the HDM10 Kit. It looks like around $100 for everything as far as I can tell.
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:18 pm
dajaphonics wrote:Are there any problems with JJOSXL2 when installing a hard drive?

I installed my 100GB Toshiba hard drive around 2008ish, I've run the free JJOS, JJOS 1, JJOS 2 and JJOSXL2 all on the same hard drive and haven't experienced any issues so far.

dajaphonics wrote:I have seen many people going for 160GB. How much do you usually spend with the HDM10 Kit. It looks like around $100 for everything as far as I can tell.

I got a funny feeling that 160GB is the limit for the hard drive, maybe someone else can confirm that? When I picked my HDM10 kit i payed about £20 quid for it in 2008, think it has been discontinued by Akai, seen them going for upwards to $70 on eBay. If you spend sometime searching on the internet you're probably find a HDM10 kit and hard drive for a reasonable price.
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 am
dajaphonics wrote:Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where you can find a HDM10 kit? Everywhere I've looked they seem to be sold out. Ebay looks like the best bet.

Most probably eBay, Amazon, Craigslist etc to find one :nod:
By dajaphonics Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:56 pm
I just bought one on ebay. A seller as of August 11, 2012 is selling them for what they were going for on the Akai site, 29 USD. I'm still not sure whether or not 160GB is the limit though.
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am
dajaphonics wrote:I just bought one on ebay. A seller as of August 11, 2012 is selling them for what they were going for on the Akai site, 29 USD. I'm still not sure whether or not 160GB is the limit though.

Best bet would to get in contact with companies like mpcstuff, renato rizoli, vst etc they may know what the limit for a hard drive is.
By Metatron72 Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 am
h3ndrix wrote:Man so I lucked out on a 25 dollar hdm10, but will lose my ass on an archaic drive.. great.

New ones go for around $79-$100 or so. That's like a Seagate or WD 149 or 160GB one I mean. They format at I believe 125GB once installed in the MPC.

I should probably place an order with B&H and get one myself. (I was referencing my personal experience with my 2500HD above, but it's the same compatibilities and GB limit)
By artmechanix Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 am
Just wanted to chime in and give you the heads up: The HDM10 can be had for $24.75 and free shipping, at both B&H Photo and Adorama.

Both are primarily photography stores with physical locations in the NYC area, I believe, but have online stores as well. They each carry a small selection of MPC goods, including the HDM10. Their prices, at least on this part, are the best I've found besides auctions.

Yeah, the hard drive part is what's killing me. There's some drives I found on Amazon for about $50 which MIGHT be compatible, but can't find confirmation here or elsewhere on those particular models. Most of the recommended / tested models are out of my price range right now.