Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
Bydrhicking Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:47 am
First of all I'd like to say that this board is a godsend - I've been thinking about getting an MPC (of some kind) for a while. Right now my setup is pretty rudimentary, mainly Cool Edit Pro 2, so here's my question: Since the 1000 is seen as a flash device by the computer (via USB), I'm assuming I can chop up my samples in Cool Edit, save them to the flash card, and then load them up on the MPC. Then once I've made the beat (or drum loop, or whatever I'm doing), I can save it as a .wav and then dump it back into Cool Edit for mixing.

Is this a correct assumption?

By six-wax Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:09 am
yep, for the most part.

you actually need to 'resample' the output to be able to load it back into the computer, but same difference, so, Roger That.

By effekt Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:25 am
NO, there is no mixdown option on the mpc1000. You will have to use the outputs. You can use clock syncronizaton in CoolEdit2 (using MIDI), to record all your tracks from MPC1000 to PC. And then do the mixdown in the mutritrack.

There is also a trick that you can do. You can resample a given sequence and save it as a wav in the MPC1000. Connect the MAIN OUT to the RECORD IN and use the [MODE] RECORD menu. This method is OK when it is just a short loop, but if you are planning to do this for the entire song, you will need alot of RAM.

Hope this helped a bit :)

Bydrhicking Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:16 am
effekt wrote:NO, there is no mixdown option on the mpc1000. You will have to use the outputs. You can use clock syncronizaton in CoolEdit2 (using MIDI), to record all your tracks from MPC1000 to PC. And then do the mixdown in the mutritrack.

There is also a trick that you can do. You can resample a given sequence and save it as a wav in the MPC1000. Connect the MAIN OUT to the RECORD IN and use the [MODE] RECORD menu. This method is OK when it is just a short loop, but if you are planning to do this for the entire song, you will need alot of RAM.

Hope this helped a bit :)

So wait, I couldn't just save what i did on the MPC as a .wav file and then go into cool edit and grab it off the MPC (since it treats it like a flash drive)?

ByNasty Non Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:41 am
So since there's no mixdown option, when I get mine, I can just hook it up to my digital recorder, and play it through there to make it into one file right?

By effekt Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:59 pm
So wait, I couldn't just save what i did on the MPC as a .wav file and then go into cool edit and grab it off the MPC (since it treats it like a flash drive)?
Unfortunately, you can NOT save the songs as a .wav on the MPC1000. You can only save them as sequences. If you want to have a .wav file of your song, you have to connect the MPC outputs to the PC inputs, and record in CoolEdit as you play the song on the MPC and use the MIDI ports to syncronize, (or use the trick :) ).

So since there's no mixdown option, when I get mine, I can just hook it up to my digital recorder, and play it through there to make it into one file right?
I never tried doing that, but there is a DIGITAL IN, and DIGITAL OUT connection on the MPC1000, so I think it is possible.
By strongarmmusic Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:10 pm
it was said that theres no mix down in the mpc, bt it has a internal mixer its in chapter 13 in the manual. i use it for a pre mix but i know people that do a complete mix then 2 trak it to cubase to add dynamics. this is what it say in the manual. Chapter 13 : Mixer
In this section, you will learn about the mixer feature. In the MIXER mode, you can edit several settings while
checking the status of the pads graphically. This is done in the MIXER mode, which can be accessed by hitting the
[MODE] key and then the [PAD 8] (MIXER).
Setting the level and pan of the pad
01. Press the [MODE] key and then the [PAD 8] (MIXER).
When you press the [MODE] key, its LED will blink. When you press the [PAD 8] when the [MODE] key’s LED
is blinking, you can enter the MIXER mode. Pressing the [F1] (L/PAN) key brings up the Level/Pan page.
In this picture, each column indicates pad 1 though 16 from the left, and the currently selected pad is
highlighted. The bar display on the bottom indicates the current level. Longer bars indicate a higher levels.
The circle in the top of the lane indicates the pan setting. The location of the line in the circle indicates the
current pan setting.
02. Hit the desired pad.
The lane of the selected pad will be highlighted.
03. Press the down cursor key to set the level, and the up cursor to set the pan.
When you press the up cursor key, the cursor will move to the pan display, and you can change the pan
setting with the DATA wheel. When you press the down cursor key, the cursor will move to the level display
and you can change the level setting with the DATA wheel.
Setting the output for the sample
The MPC1000 has 4 outputs (assignable mix out) as well as the stereo out.
To apply an effect to the specific pad by using the external effecter, output the desired pad from the assignable
mix out and connect the out to the external effecter. Then mix the sound from the stereo out with the effected
sound using the external mixer. In this section, you will learn how to change the output of the sample of the pad.
Note: For more information about connecting to the external effecter or mixer and about the operation of them, see
the operation manual of these devices.
01. In the MIXER mode, press the [F2] (L/OUT) key.
The Level/OUT page will be displayed.
Each column indicates pad 1 though 16 from the left and the currently selected pad is highlighted. The
display at the top is the field, where you make a setting to send the pad sound to the assignable outputs.
02. Hit the desired pad.
The column for the selected pad will be highlighted.
03. Press the up cursor key.
The Out field to set the output will be selected. You can change the setting by turning the DATA wheel.
ST The pad will be output to the stereo out.
1/2 The pad will be output to the assignable mix out 1/2.
3/4 The pad will be output to the assignable mix out 3/4.
-67-
Tips: The output setting is made by stereo pairs. If you wish to output four monaural signals separately from the
four assignable mix outs, use the pan settings in the L/PAN page. For example, to use the assignable mix out
1/2 as two mono outs, in the L/OUT page, set the output to 1/2 and set the pan setting of the pad you wish to
output from the out 1 and 2 to L and R respectively.
Selecting the pad to apply the effect
With the MPC1000, you can apply two effects to one pad sound. To apply effects, you need to set the pad’s
sample to be sent to the effect section. In this section, you will learn how to send the pad sound to the effect
section.
Tips: This picture displays the signal flow of the sample sound to the stereo out through the effect section. As you
can see in this picture, you can apply the effects only to the pads whose outputs are set to the stereo out.
You cannot apply the effects to the pads whose outputs are set to the assignable mix outs.
01. In the MIXER mode, press the [F3] (FXSEND) key.
The FX SEND page will be displayed.
Each column indicates pad 1 though 16 from the left and the currently selected pad is highlighted. The
display at the top indicates the output setting. The bar display on the bottom indicates the current send level.
The level setting is the same as the setting in the L/PAN page.
02. Hit the desired pad.
The lane of the selected pad will be highlighted.
03. Press the UP cursor key.
The FX Send field for the effect setting will be selected. You can change the setting by turning the DATA
wheel.
OF No effect will be used.
1 The effect 1 will be used. The Pad sound will be sent to the FX1 of the effect section.
2 The effect 2 will be used. The Pad sound will be sent to the FX2 of the effect section.
Mixer
PAD
SAMPLE
STEREO OUT
EFFECT1
EFFECT2
1/2
3/4
ASSIGNABLE
MIX OUT