Post your questions, opinions and reviews of the MPC1000. This forum is for discussion of the OFFICIAL Akai OS (2.1). If you wish to discuss the JJ OS, please use the dedicated JJ OS forum
By kevindetroit Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:57 pm
How many Programs can I load up in the MPC1000? Is there a number limit, say 99 like sequences? Or is it only limited by your RAM?

By tiger vomitt Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:39 pm
there is a limit, i dont remember what it is. im pretty sure it sez in the manual

99 sounds about right tho
By Lampdog Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:33 pm
kevindetroit wrote:How many Programs can I load up in the MPC1000? Is there a number limit, say 99 like sequences? Or is it only limited by your RAM?

It's in the manual. It's not 99 though.

By Lou-One Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:55 pm
I'm pretty sure it's up to 64 programs. I have to check as well.

By Insectpossewillbecrushed Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:22 pm
64 has been mentioned before in a thread here (maybe the one about live use?)...big jump up from the 2000/xl app'ly...

By bboy Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:44 pm
24, hence the 24part multi-timbrality

By kevindetroit Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:35 pm
It's 24, just checked the manual, it's at the end, on the specs page:

Programs | 24

Damn...would have been dope to have like 64 up in there...

By Lampdog Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:09 am
kevindetroit wrote:It's 24, just checked the manual, it's at the end, on the specs page:
Programs | 24
Damn...would have been dope to have like 64 up in there...

Just like the 2kxl. 2kxl can only access 4 though at a time though.

By kevindetroit Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:23 am
Lampdizzle,

Please tell me that shit is not true. I'll punch myself if I can only access 4 Prg's at a time. Come'on, come'on tell me it ain't so...

By jksuperstar Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:56 am
Don't confuse programs with multi-timbrality. The 24 parts means 24 samples can play at the exact same moment. That doesn't limit how many programs or samples can be loaded into ram at any one moment.

But what's the access only 4 mean? At any one moment 4 progs can be used in the same seq? or only 4 progs can be used throughout a sequence? That isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Anyone hit this limit? Guess it's time to setup a dummy sequence...

By bboy Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:53 pm
"The 24 parts means 24 samples can play at the exact same moment."

no thats polyphony, 32 sounds can be played at one time, 24 multitimbre is just how many instruments (patches, or in this case, programs) can be played through one cable at a time. Like horns are program1, drums are program2, bass is program3... etc... can I get an amen from the congregation or am I missin something?
By Lampdog Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:29 pm
Chapter 2 "The Basics", 2kxl manual, Paragraph #1 - Selecting Programs.

24 programs can reside in memory (RAM) but you can only use 4 of them at the SAME time. Doesn't matter seq/song, you can ONLY access 4 at the same time. If you wanna switch to a 5th progam you will have to bump one of your 4 that are already being used and possibly messing up your seq/song if you have already used ANY sound in that progam you wanna bump.

Taken from:
http://www.rolandus.com/glossary_main.asp

Multi-Timbral
A device that can play more than one patch at a time, typically through the use of a performance or multitimbre.

Polyphony
The number of waveforms or oscillators a synth can simultaneously play.

By jksuperstar Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:50 pm
Alright..32 polyphony, 24 programs...But I just created a seq. with 6 programs, and they all played fine. where'd the 4 come from?

By Lampdog Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:37 pm
Earlier in this thread I said the 2kxl could access only 4.

I said I didn't think the 1k could access 99 programs.

By kevindetroit Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:51 am
Yeah...having a bunch of timbres and polyphony is totally different from the programs (you could technically use up all the polyphiny in one program, if you have a ton of sounds). I think the 1k can handle 24 different programs at any given moment, which might set it a hit above the 2k? I've used 5 so far in a track and someone has used 6 programs...

All these tech words are starting to blow up my head.