All the latest news from the MPC-Samples network
By DJ Hellfire Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 pm
Hmmm, I purchased Pro Tools 9 and 10 online and it was a 3 step install. Had to first install the driver for my interface, then had to install the software itself, then had to install the Virtual Instruments. All 3 separate install files. The same goes for Maschine with the updates. They are all separate install files; driver, software, and controller editor. The service center only lets you download them all at once. But each install is separate. I believe only Maschine's DVD was a one shot deal. But my disc is 1.5 so it's pretty useless! :lol:
By JAH Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:07 pm
Note that the MPC Ren's Palm Rest is not an MPC 3000 design. It is more like the original MPC 60. The MPC 3000s palm rest has stood the test of time. Everytime I see second hand MPC 60, the palm rest looks like a dog was chewing on it. The material used for the Ren's palm rest looks and feels it will last a long time.
By Retrofreak Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:Hmmm, I purchased Pro Tools 9 and 10 online and it was a 3 step install. Had to first install the driver for my interface, then had to install the software itself, then had to install the Virtual Instruments. All 3 separate install files. The same goes for Maschine with the updates. They are all separate install files; driver, software, and controller editor. The service center only lets you download them all at once. But each install is separate. I believe only Maschine's DVD was a one shot deal. But my disc is 1.5 so it's pretty useless! :lol:

When I installed Pro Tools 10 on my Mac the drivers were installed with the software.

The sounds were on a separate install = 2 step process.

Surely Akai could've consolidated everything to 1 or 2 disks with a simple 2 part install process?.

At present each step and disk is independent of the other and extremely long winded when one stage fails.
By JAH Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:28 pm
Don't understand the fuss. I had to install the Ren's drivers and software 100+ times. It is fairly simple and quick to do.

1. Install the driver. Must reboot Mac afterwards

2. Install the MPC software..then you are ready to go

3. The additional content is extra but not required unless you want to use the library or stock VSTs. It's 9 GB of content so it can take awhile.
By Retrofreak Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 pm
JAH wrote:Don't understand the fuss. I had to install the Ren's drivers and software 100+ times. It is fairly simple and quick to do.

1. Install the driver. Must reboot Mac afterwards

2. Install the MPC software..then you are ready to go

3. The additional content is extra but not required unless you want to use the library or stock VSTs. It's 9 GB of content so it can take awhile.

The process could be streamlined is all.
By Blue Haze Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 pm
Good Review Tutor! Hardware is great and the build is solid, though I would have preferred dedicated button cuz the 3k and 4k spoiled me. The software side still has a way to go for vst stability. Looking forward to 1.2 update and your software review. :nod:
By Rokgod Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 am
djdynasty wrote:I'm still trying to find out why you would do a review on the hardware, when the hardware is useless without the software. Makes no sense to me.

lmao, exactly. The hardware is... hard... shiny... and has buttons and stuff. 10 out of 10, but oh yeah, the software that it runs on is terrible, lacks features, crashes, and is full of bugs that akai doesnt fix. Retarded.
By Clint Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm
djdynasty wrote:I'm still trying to find out why you would do a review on the hardware, when the hardware is useless without the software. Makes no sense to me.

The hardware is the controller, the tactile element, the only tangible part of the package people have paid for. It contains among other things the most important control aspects, the 16 pads, the Q-links, the screen, the audio interface and so on. Anyone who has used previous MPC's will know that build quality really does make a difference to the user experience and future maintenance costs.

The fact that the hardware "is useless without the software" is irrelevant; the software is useless without the hardware but it still qualifies for a review. Tutors review of the hardware is well done and provides non Ren owners some indication of what they can expect to get their hands on, if and when, they decide the Ren deserves a place in their studio. Makes perfect sense to me.