New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By drvck Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 pm
First post here, very "newbieish" question I'm sure. I come from a 30 year background in piano and am relatively new to alot of the newer technologies so please bear with me. A year or so back I was baited into an 80's pop new wave cover band, found I really enjoy it, cutting to the chase my two synths are a Roland Fantom X and a Yamaha Motif XS, what I am trying to accomplish is to slave the two keyboards to a controller/clock of some sorts to to set tempo on various arpegiated or sequenced parts while also sending the drummer a click to maintain cohesion. Songs where this can or has been an issue would be along the lines of Heart of Glass, Rio, Call Me etc. Will and if so which Akai MPC will do the trick, I really do not want to get into carrying a laptop or use a software based program to accomplish this. I'd like to send the click directly from the unit to the drummer. Any help or comments greatly appreciated
By SimonInAustralia Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:37 pm
Most of the MPCs will allow MIDI clock to be sent out of two MIDI outputs, to connect to the MIDI inputs of your Fantom and Motif.

The MPC500 only has a single MIDI output, so might not be the best choice.

The MPC5000 is apparently not the best with it's sequencer timing, so also probably not the best choice.

The MPC1000 is probably the most compact that will do what you want, and therefore easiest to lug around with you to gigs.

They will all allow you to either send a sequencer click through an audio output for your drummer, or you can program your own click into the sequencer using a sample for the click.
By SimonInAustralia Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:26 am
No standalone/hardware MPCs are being made anymore.

There are only MPC controllers, MPC Renaissance and MPC Studio, that work with MPC Software, and the smaller MPC Element. that works with less functional MPC Essentials software, being made at the moment. They all require a connected computer, to run the software on, to operate.

If you are not in a rush, you can probably find an MPC1000 in decent shape for $400-500 second hand.

Common problems with the MPC1000, and with the larger MPC2500, might be failing tact switches, the electrical switches underneath the plastic front panel buttons, which might need replacing by desoldering the old switches and soldering in new switches.

Look for a later black MPC1000 model, the earlier blue MPC1000, and the first of the black MPC1000s, had separate/individual pads/pad sensors, which also fail. They were replaced in the later black MPC1000 model with pads/sensor sheets like previous MPCs, with all the pads/sensors joined together as one unit, and which are a lot more reliable. The later pads/sensors can be retrofitted to the earlier MPC1000 models that do not have them.
By drvck Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:12 pm
Found a blue one for 300 bucks, even though you state this could be one of the problematic ones I think I will pick it up, minimum investment, won't be using the machine as anything more than sync/click so i shouldnt be overburdening the pads etc. I do my sampling and chopping etc on my Fantom and I dont make beats so we shall see, thanks again so much with all the help and information