New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Hustle4House Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:20 am
Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. I have been trying to revamp my studio in attempts to step outside the computer. I have my sights set on an MPC 2500. Eventually, I want to pair it with an s950 to add some dirt to my samples.

This is what I am trying to achieve... I want to sample from vinyl into my MPC through the studio mixer then I want to jam out on the MPC and record into my DAW through that same mixer (utilizing all of the assignable outs on the MPC).

I'm assuming that I will need an audio interface with a solid number of inputs. This will allow me to multi-track record as many inputs as needed into Ableton all at the same time. So let's say I wanted to go VINYL (through studio mixe)> MPC (same mixer)> DAW. How would I set this up so that I don't need to make any changes to inputs/outputs on the audio interface/mixer between sampling the vinyl into the MPC and recording myself recording into the DAW for the final mix?

In this video, Phil Weeks is able to sample records into a DAW, record them back into his MPC, then jam on the MPC without altering his set up. Even though this is a bit different than what I'm after, can anyone explain how he might have this system rigged up as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys15ZGntgyY

He records samples from like 15:00- 38:00 then jams on his MPC from 1:30:00 till it ends.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
By CEDDMACK Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:18 pm
Going directly into the Mpc from the turn table is a great option, then out of the Mpc into the mixer from it's 8 outs, out of the mixer into your audio interface. From there, you can go into the rec in on the mixer from interface, will have to use rca adapters. And yes, you will need a phono amp for your turntable. RCA are unbalanced connections, but you get a nice analog sound from them. Finally, go out from your mixer's main output pair, to your monitors.
By Hustle4House Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:02 am
CEDDMACK wrote:Going directly into the Mpc from the turn table is a great option, then out of the Mpc into the mixer from it's 8 outs, out of the mixer into your audio interface. From there, you can go into the rec in on the mixer from interface, will have to use rca adapters. And yes, you will need a phono amp for your turntable. RCA are unbalanced connections, but you get a nice analog sound from them. Finally, go out from your mixer's main output pair, to your monitors.

Thank you. I appreciate the clear walkthrough! In that scenario wouldn't you be recording into the mixer? My goal would be to record the final mix into the DAW through the interface.

ALSO- It looks like I actually went ahead and purchased an MPC 3000 instead of the 2500. Still unsure of this decision. I know the sound and quality of the 3000 is cherished, but we will see how it goes!
At this point in time my goal would be to... record the samples in my DAW. Time stretch/Chop my samples in the DAW, and then record them into my MPC to program the beats (before ultimately recording the final mix back into the DAW out of the 8 outputs). Now my problem is that I don't understand how to record out of the DAW into the MPC. My confusion is this... When recording into the MPC, the sample you are recording is played out of the MPCs output correct? So if I'm playing the sample in the DAW to record it into the MPC, wouldn't I be getting layered outputs? The output of the MPC going through the mixer AND the output of the DAW playing the sample for me to record?

In the video I posted up above, Phil is able to achieve this workflow without any hiccups and I can't figure out how!
By electric dragon Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:08 pm
MPCs have an input and output section; they can also sample internally. What that means is you can hook up any external sound source through the Input, then through the menu select that as the Source. In a setup where you've routed turntable output into the MPC's Input (either directly in or through a mixer or patchbay) , on the TT you start playing then on the MPC you hit Record until you've got what you want.

When you sample the MPC internally, you're basically recording yourself playing other samples in a Program. in that scenario you've already laid out samples into a Program (drum kit) and now you want to record yourself playing and end up with a whole new audio sample.

It sounds like you're confusing the two when you ask "When recording into the MPC, the sample you are recording is played out of the MPCs output correct? " Technically, yes, you can set it up so you are hearing what is being recorded. But the sound you hear from the Output does not have to be what the MPC is actually recording, what the MPC cares about is how you have set up the Source section of the Rec menu.

In the video you mention the dude has a 16 track digital mixer, with various aux in and outs and busses. He's probably got the turntable hooked up to a stereo track and then routing it out of the mixer using an auxillary send, which goes into the Input of the MPC. Both the 3000 and 2500 have digital inputs, the Yamaha may have a digital output so that could be how it's connected as well; the video simply doesn't show how the mixer and MPC are connected.

In my personal (mixerless) setup I just connect the turntable straight into the MPC because I re-arranged things and have'nt got long enough cables to hook things up to my patchbay, but that's my preferred set-up - using a patchbay. Here I have the TT patched into the MPC input by default but can easily patch it into my interface to record the TT inside Ableton or through any other instrument's input section, to run it through microKorg vocoder or analog synth filters, guitar pedals, whatever.

My interface has 8 ins and outs, also hooked up to the patchbay. So I can easily record the TT into Ableton, then send the output of that to the MPC like you were asking about. My MPC2500 also has internal HD and USB and you can put it into USB mode and transfer samples from the computer into the MPC's HD or card. I personally don't see much point though in recording on the computer and transferring to the MPC - most of the reasons for using the MPC for anything is simply to explore how its limitations force you to think about production The MPC Way and get away from the computer.
By back2future Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 pm
you say you have a studio mixer ... what is it ? How many channels ? Audio Interface ?

If you watch the video again , 4:24 he tells you the setup he is doing. Vinyl in to the computer. Probably into his mixer on a stereo an then into the interface he uses. He said he uses sound forge to cut an chop the samples cause it's more precise. Then he goes digital in to the mpc 3000 as he says "it's perfect because I lose no quality an I have the mpc on the final 2 track.. "