New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By cmscss Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:11 am
Hi There, brand new to MPC so sorry if this is easy.

If have a drum loop sequenced on the Tempest and I'm sampling it one sound at a time - kick is done but how do I sample the snare so that beat one is silent?

Obviously the MPC is triggering on beat 2 when the snare plays.

The Tempest and MPC Touch are not synced, they're just both set to 96bpm - do I have to sync them so the MPC understands where the bar is? Or is the a simpler way?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
By hok-2 Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm
you could put a kick on beat one to trigger record then silence the kick in trim mode by selecting the part with the kick in zone edit - pressing edit - and scrolling through the selection to 'silence zone'.
It usually creates a bit of a click but you may be able to get rid of it by giving the pad a slow attack.

Or you could just trigger the sample from the first snare? Seems like the easiest way.
By cmscss Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:08 pm
Thanks heaps for the reply,

Or you could just trigger the sample from the first snare? Seems like the easiest way

So that's what I did but I'm confused about how to add a beat of silence to the front - does that make sense?
By peterpiper Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm
why do you want to sample the hole silence in the snaretrack when you just can sample each hit and put it on the right place in the MPC Sequencer?
By the way you do it you'll end up with x samples that contains much more silence than sound.

peace
By Lampdog Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:20 pm
You don't HAVE to sample silence. You can just sample where you want and start your sample playback from that spot. Doesn't have to hit 1.
By cmscss Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm
I'm not sure I understand the answers sorry.

Firstly, I'm sampling loops, not hits if that makes sense - the sequence is actually on the Tempest (created before I got the MPC).

But are you saying the best way would be to re-sequence everything on the MPC, and sample it back?
By Lampdog Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:35 pm
If you manually sample Tempest audio into MPC, you can then inside of MPC, nudge the loop to start wherever on the timeline you want.