New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By plusssz Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 pm
Hey, im obviously new! I have a question: anyone got this unit? - AKAI S20 16-BIT STEREO PHRASE SAMPLER.
If yes please help me:)
I bought this unit on ebay as a faulty. I found that F1 - smd fuse (2,3A) on mainboard is faulty, so I replaced this smd fuse (2,5A).
After that s20 back to live :) but I found another ploblem one of ICs (am27c010-12dc) have a bend leg and I dont know why (In my opinion I'm a first person who opened this sampler - for 99,9%), maybe this bend leg is a normal thing ???, so if U have this unit can U check YOUR mainborard for me please?? and upload a foto...
please find below a foto of my mainboard:

This sampler is my first AKAI PROFESSIONAL unit and I don't have any experience:( I put this leg in right place in socket... When I push power button display show me a some mixed pixels then "r_16" after that " ___1" - it means ready to work??
I know that forum us for MPC units but please help me

cheers
By Pilchard Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm
No bent leg on my unit But if it works fine like that, I would leave it alone.

r16 means you have the maximum 16 Mb ram installed giving you a total of 17Mb and if sampling at 32khz, a total sample time of about 260 seconds mono.

If you don't have it, get the manual from here> http://www.scribd.com/doc/18849192/akai ... ler-manual
(needs quick sign up).
By plusssz Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:56 pm
cheers mate:) tnx for your time! :)
Sorry to bother U, but can U check ones again numbers of your mainboard and this two IC on the bottom, please?
My motherboard nr is:
L6046A5010 810582J
PC CPU 94V-0
from the left 1st IC is

REMIX88
(2)
V1.0

2nd:

REMIX88
(1)
V1.01

also tnx for link to user manual but I've already have it :)
I'll spend the next couple of days testing this unit but right now I dont have even 2HD disks :(.

cheers
By rhythm-x Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm
Sorry, I know it's an old thread...

But can you please let me know how did you remove the F1 fuse?

I think I have the same problem, but when I look at the back of the circuit board, I don't see any pins I can unsolder to remove it. I'm usually good at this, but I don't understand this one.

Thanks!!
By motosega Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:41 am
i have no experience with the akai s20, but its not uncomon to find intentionaly lifted pins on chips inside electronics. this is often because of manufacturing mistakes. but it can be confusing when fixing stuff with unknown problems.

i found the datasheet for this eprom and the pin that is lifted is pin1 which acording to the datasheet is Vpp - program voltage input.

this pin is only used to program the chip, since your eprom is already programmed, you don't need it anymore, probably they broke the pin taking it out of the eprom programmer, but figured that since it would work anyway, who gives a shit,

but it could be that this version of the circuit board has an routing error where that pin is accidently connected to Vcc, so they cut the pin off to make sure it dosent get wiped.

if it aint broke don't fix it!