New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By T-Virus Sat May 23, 2015 5:17 am
For me I can't smoke and then make music. Unless it's sound design then I'll dap all day. But for actual production I have a reward system 5 hours of solid production time equals a 45 min break. I then take my dogs out and reset my mind. Then 3 more hours in the lab. Followed by rest and relaxation. This is when life doesn't get in the way. My suggestion is smoke after and listen with both your stoned and normal ears, learn to hear them both.
By Skyzoo Mon May 25, 2015 7:10 pm
The key is understanding why you feel the way you do.

You have this idea that you HAVE to make good music. That is not how music works. Music is feelings and soul. You can't force yourself to be creative. The reason weed helps you is because it turns off your expectations to yourself and let's you just have fun and chill with your MPC. It's when you are not focused on a specific goal that the magic happens. Does this make sense to you?

This is why artistry and drugs often times goes hand in hand. Drugs puts you in the moment and kills this fixation on reaching a goal.

I can't teach you how to get in the zone without weed. I would start by asking myself, why is it that you're obsessed with making good beats...
By Doc00Cosel Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:50 pm
I've been making beats for for like 17 years. For the first 10 years I did mad d-rugz. I made dope shit but started to burn out. Once I cut back and got my head together, beats, lyrics, and samples were pouring out at me on everything I heard. What i'm saying is its all good to blaze, but if you start lacking or getting a writers block because of it, it's time to chill. Especially if you take music seriously. Even if it's just a break from it and not permantely quitting. You'd be surprised on how the brain puts shit together when it's unaltered. Treez can definitely boost creativity, however don't completely smoke out when working in the studio. For me, theres a fine line now of how f-ed up I get before working. Just my opinion though and I don't judge those who get blasted while working. Lord knows I used to.
By dryad-66 Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 am
Ill-Green wrote:Weed flows in my bloodstreams but I like to be sober when I make a beat. Sometimes a dope beat high can sound like **** later.

I prefer to make beats sober and when its complete, then I spark a spliff, enjoy the high and enjoy the beat.

But when I get up on the mic, yeah I'm stoned.

Well said..
By Headphones Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:26 pm
It might be what you are smoking(Indica, Sativa, Hybrid) that makes or breaks your productivity go up in smoke. I know when I spend money at a dispensary, I ask the budtender what has the highest THC count. I walk out with as much of that strain that I could afford, and I don’t ever buy the weaker strains.

I’m reaching the point where I want to spend less on weed, more on my studio. I bought half a ounce of grounded weed from my dad for $20. That half a oz is plenty for myself. But if I share it with friends, then it runs out much quicker. I love blunts as well, but that really eats up my supply of my stash. So I have to discipline my spending habits. It can be one, or the other, but right now I can’t afford to do both in one paycheck.

Now, as far as beat making high, it can be a double edged sword. If I get off work, I’m already exhausted as it is. I’ll have some dinner, and if I smoke too much, I don’t feel like making beats, plugging in cables, or any of that. Because I’ll just reach that point where my body just wants to watch tv & zonk out. Can’t really make a beat without energy. So on my days off, I like to sit down & make a drum pattern, maybe make a BassLine, or mess with FX & come up with different sounds. I might take 1 puff, and my mind will be opened up to the results. I don’t really save the results that often high or sober. I don’t have a traditional DAW even, so it’s mainly just things I’ve bought over the years. As long as I feel inspired, I keep at it. When I’m not feeling it, I stop. I unplug all the gear, and I chill to tv.

So at least I’m aware of what happens if I’m too stoned. Nothing. So I would suggest just make a beat sober, and one where you had a puff or two. Also, you might want to spend less on weed if you’re saving up for your studio gear. Because at the end of the day, when the weed becomes ash, you’ve already wasted your cash. But once you buy any gear, it’s yours. You can use it, or not. So you might be as broke as me & have to make your choice.

I do love weed, and I love beat making, and I try to do both. But it’s not always easy to do both. :smoker:
By Ill-Green Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm
Weed opens up new worlds though, can push your limits. I remember those highs and keep them close when making beats for sober inspiration because it was like a mission I undertook that first excursion with weed and music. That day, I saw I had to make beats and fill it with rhymes. Was a beautiful trip, but thats another story.