New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By lars Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 pm
Hey!
I have just got myself a MPC 2000. I haven't got a manual, I have never touched a MPC before now, and I couldn't find a topic where all of my questions are answered. My plan is to sample records and use a program on my Mac as a recorder.

- How do I connect my MPC 2000 to my MacBook?
- How do I get the sounds from my iomega zip to the pads?
- How do I connect my MPC 2000 to my Numark USB Turntable?
- What kind of cables do I need for all of this?

Please give me some good answers and maybe some tips, and don't fuss about me being a rookie and shiet.

btw: check out my soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/lars-b
By MeSoHordey Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 pm
My Numark USB TT has RCA out cables with a gain setting. If yours has the same, get some of these and hook it up this way;

By TreCipher617 Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm
TreCipher617 wrote:ur gonna also need a recording interface like the m audio fasttrack pro

and u'll need a zip drive n scsi cable to get sounds onto ur mp from zip disks

recording interface, exa. m audio fast track pro

dont know if those are compatible with macs, but i think u catch my drift
By lars Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 pm
Thanks, I got it. But please does anyone know how to hook up the mpc with my mac? Or if it's even possible?
By lars Mon May 30, 2011 8:32 pm
Thats what I was hoping... but is it possible to transfer sounds from my mac to the mpc 2000 then?
By nogginj Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 am
Thats what I was hoping... but is it possible to transfer sounds from my mac to the mpc 2000 then?

if you mean 'transfer' like drag and drop, then not easily. you need a medium that can go between the mpc 2000 and the mac, like a zip disc or a floppy disc or a cf card.
also, macs write hidden files onto disks that can render the disk unusable in an mpc.

it is possible though, you could do it the old school way and plug the audio out of your mac into the record in on your mpc and sample like that. that's what the machine is made for. if you don't enjoy working oldschool like that consider that you are using a 14 year old piece of gear based on a 23 year old piece of gear.

the newer mpcs can transfer files very easily with a computer.
By lars Tue May 31, 2011 4:59 pm
My plan is to do it old school. I have a zip disk so I'll try that. I just wanted to know if it was possible to see my recordings on a bigger display than on my mpc.
By nogginj Tue May 31, 2011 5:31 pm
lars wrote:My plan is to do it old school. I have a zip disk so I'll try that. I just wanted to know if it was possible to see my recordings on a bigger display than on my mpc.

Ha, if you really want to do it old school, then don't use a display at all and just go by the sample numbers. ;]
It's really not that bad and forces you to use your ear, which is important.

Also bear in mind that zip discs are probably the most unreliable media around these days and it's going to fail at some point and you will lose everything on it. Use it for temporary, but consider investing in a card reader or just deal with floppies (lots of people do).
By rclosure Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:43 am
Y'all pretty much answered the same questions I had. I'm also new to MPC 2000, and looking at the back off it, I'm confused as hell as to how it connects to my Mac. If it even does that. But I'll try what you guys recommend. Thanks.