New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By de Haan Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm
Hi there

I'm a bit confused about the MIDI routing on my MPC1000.

My setup looks like this:
Elektron Octatrack MIDI out -> MPC1000 MIDI in -> MPC1000 MIDI out -> Nord Rack 3.

Sometimes I want the MIDI sequencer of the Octatrack to control the Nord, but I don't want it to trigger the samples on the MPC. And I still want to be able to play samples from the pads.

So I guess I'm looking for some kind of MIDI thru. Is it possible to send MIDI notes through the MPC, without trigging it's samples?

Best regards
Nikolaj de Haan

By selecta jo Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:31 pm
this is a very nice portable rig you got there!

the mpc can only send "midi thru" on the active track, because there is no real midi thru.
so you can make a midi track, choose the bank and midi channel and the trigger sounds of your nord from the octatrack.

one little trick to get more than one sound is to switch the midi channel on the mpc track while the sequence from the octatrack is running if the nord is multitimbral.
so you can make one sequence on the octatrack and then switch the from 1A to 2A to 3A etc. on the mpc while the sequence is running.

when you do this the sequencer on the mpc can also be running, but you have to stay on that active midi track to have the "thru" functionality.

maybe a small midi interface (like the motu micro express or the micro lite) can help you to get better midi routing without adding an computer. just look for the standalone functions of these devices. and think about the fact if it is okay for you to preprogram the midi davice from a computer before the show or if you need live programming.

my midi interface is the motu midi express xt with 8in/8out and i like the fact that i can use it without any need for a computer.

peace, jo
By de Haan Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10 pm
Thanks for the reply.

So there's no way to send the MIDI input directly to the output, without making it trigger samples on the active track?

I don't think a MIDI interface would work, because I still need the Octatrack to send program change, MIDI clock and sometimes MIDI notes to the MPC.

So I really need a way to choose if the MPC should react to incoming MIDI notes, or just send them directly to the MIDI output.
By de Haan Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:49 pm
Okay maybe it could work with a MIDI merger:

I will have to switch between channel 1 and 2 on my MIDI-keyboard for playing the Nord or MPC, but that's not so hard.

And I will still be able to use the MPC pads for playing my Nord, and I can also play the Nord with keyboard or Octatrack sequencer, without trigging the MPC.

Does this make sense? :)
By tapedeck Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:10 pm
you need to set up your mpc in multi-timbral mode.
2k, 4k, and JJOS can do this. don't think a stock 1k or 2.5k can, and cannot comment on the older models or the 5k.

you adjust your 'soft thru' param as that is what determines how the mpc converts an incoming midi signal, and how it sends it back out. 'as track' is probably NOT what you want because that means your incoming midi data from the OT would play on whatever track you have selected.

however if you set it up multi-timbrally, and have the OT transmit on channel 1, and have a track respond only to channel 1, and have that track also output on channel 1, then it SHOULD work.

my only question would be, does the mpc still respond to incoming midi multi-timbrally when not in record mode? you'd have to try this out.

otherwise yes the midi merger will work but id try to set it up in the mpc first.
you still need to change active tracks on the mpc to determine if the pads trigger the nord or the internal drums.
By de Haan Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:32 pm
I think I found a solution:

I've got JJ OS2XL installed.

Went to MIDI/SYNC page
Multi timre: on.
Soft thru: as track
In 2 offset channel: +15 (this means that when I play channel 1 on my MIDI keyboard the MPC will see it as channel 16, channel 2 will be seen as channel 1, channel 3 as 4 etc.)

I made a MIDI instrument on track 16 (which receives my keyboards channel 1) and made it send MIDI to channel 1 (Nord Rack)

So now if I play from channel 1 on the Octatrack/my MIDI keyboard I will only play the Nord, and if I play from channel 2 I will only play track 1 on the MPC.
And if I go to track 16 on the MPC I can use the pads for playing the Nord.

I don't know if this is the smartest solution, but it works for now :)
By westcope Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:14 am
"Thanks for the reply.

I still need the Octatrack to send program change, MIDI clock and sometimes MIDI notes to the MPC.

So I really need a way to choose if the MPC should react to incoming MIDI notes, or just send them directly to the MIDI output. "

Hey there was wondering how you get the Octatrack to send program changes to the MPC1000?

BTW, You're rig looks AWESOME! :-)
By westcope Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 am
de Haan wrote:Thanks for the reply.

So there's no way to send the MIDI input directly to the output, without making it trigger samples on the active track?

I don't think a MIDI interface would work, because I still need the Octatrack to send program change, MIDI clock and sometimes MIDI notes to the MPC.

So I really need a way to choose if the MPC should react to incoming MIDI notes, or just send them directly to the MIDI output.

Octatrack to send program change !!!!????

Hey there was wondering how you get the Octatrack to send program changes to the MPC1000?

BTW, You're rig looks AWESOME! :-)